PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new set of Motohammers with STI beadlock wheels. The tires bounce terribly! Do I need to try to balance them?

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Don't typically need to balance them, but since they are a DOT tire...??? How much air are you running in them and what size - read one report that the 27s wear better than the 30s.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are 27's,running 15 psi all the way around. I ordered Counteract beads yesterday. I hope the beads help.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Not real sure you'll have enough speed to make the beads work (no personal experience, just seems like you would need a steady centrifugal force). You may want to try a little less air - I'd try 10lbs just for comparison. Also, may be a good idea to raise up you machine and give the wheels a spin to check for out-of-round - could have gotten a bad wheel or tire???? ...just grasping at straws here...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Did you install the beadlocks yourself? They are a pain to get just right on some tires. I know mine were not easy. I would run WAY lower PSI with beadlocks, that is the main reason for having them in the first place, to run far lower PSI without spinning the wheel in the tire or unseating the bead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tires

Did you install the beadlocks yourself? They are a pain to get just right on some tires. I know mine were not easy. I would run WAY lower PSI with beadlocks, that is the main reason for having them in the first place, to run far lower PSI without spinning the wheel in the tire or unseating the bead.
I ordered them from Pure Offroad,they came mounted. I will try the lower pressure and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
W/o balancing them, break the beads & rotate the tires 180* on the wheels. Reinflate the tires. There's a chance that the heavy spots of both the wheel & tire may be in the same area causing a severe out of balance condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put CounterAct beads in...... Tires still bounce badly at certain speeds! I like the performance off-road,not so much on the asphalt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the Wheels off the front of my Ranger,Dammit Boy! I put them on my spin balance machine.......never seen any tires this bad out of round! Never! I will be in contact with someone tomorrow, absolutely sad, the quality of products and companies are going to hell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the guys that produce the tires. They we very helpful with advice and willing to get me satisfied . I removed the lock rings and turned the tires,then balanced them. Will try to ride in the next few days. Maybe all of this has helped.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did you ever get the bouncing issue taken care of? How do you like the tire over all? I am looking to get a set of the 27's on MSA M-21 beadlocks. All the reviews I have found were positive except of a few with the bouncing issue.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can't help but think it's something to do with the tire position on the beadlocks. Do you understand how beadlocks work? There's a reason true beadlocks are not dot approved. The tire does not center itself on the outside bead, whoever installs the tire on the rim does! Which leaves much room for human error.

These are radial tires, so flat spots and air pressure shouldn't be an issue. The only way air pressure would be an issue if you were running too low psi and driving it after it sat awhile and got flat spots in it. Any average psi, 10 and up, shouldn't leave room for flat spots.

With it hopping up and down, there's only two options - 1) mispositioned on the rim or 2) tire out of round. The issue could be wheel related, but I wouldn't wager money on that. If it were wheel related, it would likely wobble/shake instead of hopping.

Is it pinpointed to just one wheel or multiple ones?

Imo, you are wasting your time troubleshooting until you take all the wheels off, take the beadlock rings off, be sure the tire is centered to the best of one's ability, and reinstall the beadlock rings TIGHTENING THE BOLTS BACK DOWN IN THE PROPER SEQUENCE.

If you do not tighten the bolts down in the proper sequence, this can squeeze the tire around on the rim leaving a void where air can leak or misposition the tire on the rim. Not everybody knows how to properly mount a tire on a beadlock, so it's possible whoever did, done so the wrong way.

When tightening beadlock bolts, get em all finger tight, then start with one, then go acros from it. Then do the bolts in between those two directly perpindicular and keep crossing like that, so the force of the beadlock ring is acting straight down on the tire bead, instead of pushing the tire around by tightening in a circle.

Tighten 12 oclock, 6 oclock, 3 oclock, and 9 oclock, and continue on.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just realized this is an old post that was bumped. Oh well, good info there for future wondering minds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts