·
Registered
2015 Ranger 900 XP EPS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
I’m am installing an 18” light bar onto my bumper of my 2015 ranger and need a little help making sure I do it properly. I have a factory installed winch so I believe I have power to the three post bar under the hood but where do I go from there? Do I need a relay or circuit breaker switch or can I just wire in a switch and connect the positive and negatives?Thanks for your help, this is my first time wiring an accessory in.

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,318 Posts
It's best to use a relay and wire the light bar to the battery unless you have a high amp bus bar.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,101 Posts
I'm going to make a suggestion that might save you some work in the future. The fact is that most people start adding accessories one at a time. First a light bar, then back up lights, maybe a dome light, a heater, etc. I strongly suggest adding a fuse box. The following articles on this site by fswan are an excellent place to start:
Adding a Fuse Box
and
Electrical Add Ons - 101, part 2

I was once where you are with my 2015 Ranger and now I'm here:
Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Wire Motor vehicle
Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Wire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Ranger 900 XP EPS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I’ve collected my wires, fittings and components to do the job. How do I connect the wires to the battery? Directly to the post? To the solenoid? Or to the bolt holding the wire to the post?
Motor vehicle Trunk Hood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Sleeve Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2015 Ranger 900 XP EPS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question has to do with where to connect the black and red 4 gauge wire to the battery at. Do I connect where my battery tender is connected or somewhere else?

·
Registered
2008 Polaris Ranger 700 XP 4x4 EFI
136 Posts
I dont know how big of a bar you are running but, At the shop will usually run them from the terminal bar or on the newer oned the bus bar.

·
Registered
2015 Ranger 900 XP EPS
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I have the circuit breaker, relay and fuse box wired in. Can anyone see if I did it correctly? Did I connect the small negative wire from the relay to the right place on the fuse box?
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Bag Cable

Electrical wiring Cable Motor vehicle Electricity Gas

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m planning on running wires from my fuse box to my dash switch and from my dash to the light.
in my opinion, you would be better off wiring power from the fuse box to a relay , then that relay to the light. Then a 3 or 5 amp wire to the switch , ground back from switch to fuse box ground, and “ trigger” wire from switch to relay. That way you aren’t running to much through the switch

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I thought it would either need an inline fuse or a CB. Overkill or unnecessary?
Personally I would have mounted the circuit breaker close to the battery. If that heavy gauge wire rubs through a frame member or gets nicked by something and then grounds out it'll take out your battery and you'll be stuck wherever you are when it happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts