PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting to keep the dust out of the air intake system forever. A couple of years ago I bought a snow filter for a snowmobile and installed it behind the seat, all it did was stop larger debris. I see a lot of the newer UTVs using Particle Seperators, a bit pricy. So I had to come up withing something else.
I bought a K&N-1003RD-L washable air filter, and covered it with a pre filter wrap. Took a brief test run for breathability. It hit 45 MPH very quickly so until I take a trail ride in a couple of weeks I am cautiously declaring it a success. Here are a couple of pictures"

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It wasn't enough to relocate and add a extra filter to the engine air intake I also relocated the CVT (clutch) air intake.
The OEM air for the CVT comes from a small frogskin covered vent on the passenger side midway up the side, down to th clutch air-intaake. Note there is no filteration other than the frogskin on the outside vent.
I have removed the venting and the duct work and put an inverted "U" pipe with an Outwear bag over it right where the rubber OEM air trap hose-clutch emerges from the back of the cab. Hope this works better than the OEM engineering failure. For clarity I have started with a picture of my original mod:

Here is the new intake:

and here is a veiw from the driver's side showing both the new engine pre-filter and the CVT air intake.:

I think the best part is both pre-filters (cloth) can be washed as can the K&N filter on the engine air intake.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The problem with the K&N style filters is that they don't filter the air as well as the paper media types do. They are designed more for high air flow in performance applications than for keeping out the finest particles which impact longevity of the engine.

IMHO, you'd be better off with a paper element from an engine that normally runs in dusty conditions such as a lawnmower. There are several styles of filters for the various manufacturers. Perhaps you can find one that has a larger surface area and will still fit in the location you've chosen, maybe one from a higher horsepower V Twin engine. A filter from a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine might be a good option. The originals are paper element type and are often replaced with aftermarket so they should be inexpensive to buy on eBay and convert for your use. I've seen some mower/commercial engine filters that are an elongated oval in shape. It wouldn't be difficult to make a top and bottom plate and weld in a spigot for the hose to connect. Another advantage of the mower type filters is that the elements are inexpensive to replace and commonly found in big box stores.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I agree about K&N filters from personal experience, maybe ok for street but not dust.

I thought he was using it as a pre-filter.

Just moving from the pillar intake to behind the seat helped a lot with dust. It also helped my belt run cooler. I removed the plastic insert thingys that came with the snow kit an just ended up shortening the clutch tube to be similar to the snowmkit air intake. If dust ends up being an issue in the future I'll try just a pre-filter over my hardware cloth.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
K & N filters have been proven to allow dust in. Like Steve said, a good paper filter provides much greater protection.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
The filter oil from the K&N will collect on the throttle body (ETC) as well as the TMAP, causing starting issues, over time.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you all missed my point. The OEM paper filter is still in place and being used as intended. The K&N is and associated filter wrap are just one more filter in the line to help keep more crap out of the air intake system.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Somehow I missed that. Thanks for the clarification. Filtration in layers, not a new concept, but effective. Many small engine manufacturers use an oiled foam over a paper element to achieve a similar effect.

·
Super Moderator
6,674 Posts
I think you all missed my point. The OEM paper filter is still in place and being used as intended. The K&N is and associated filter wrap are just one more filter in the line to help keep more crap out of the air intake system.
Yes, I did miss that part.

I will be curious to know how much oil your paper filter collects with this set up.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too. I am hoping it does a good job and that I didn't waste my time and resources. Won't get a chance to test it out for a few days but I am looking forward to it. Have some other maintenance issues to take care of before hitting the trails again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts