PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Engine breather valve

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  thehemikid 
#1 ·
Hello again, I haven't been here in awhile. 2015 Ranger 570 full size.

Cold weather finally settled in for good and I hadn't started my Ranger since it was warmer and heard a real nasty loud squeak/squall to where it sounded like it could be metal to metal, being I've never heard anything quite like this sound before. Kinda like a duck call. lol.

Not wanting to start it any more I went in to the clutch (Dura) area since that was the last thing I did to the motor and everything appeared normal. So I rotated the clutch by hand to see if I could feel metal to metal,... thinking piston, or ring maybe and nothing felt wrong. Ah! good sign! Rotated the clutch by hand past the compression stroke and somewhere after that I heard a smaller example of that squeak. Found it was coming out of the return hose to the air filter from the crank case, cause I had the air filter box out of the way and just that hose open and close by. I found the sound would come roughly during the up stroke of the piston. Got to the point where I would put my thumb over the hose, rotate the crank, stop and then remove my thumb to hear it, which made me think it was a air flow issue and not a metal to metal issue. Ah! better sign! Also found removing my thumb let air in not out.

So I thought at that moment (not having looked in a manual yet) is there a check valve and it's failing!

Researched and didn't find much about this issue but found a new one and ordered it (~$25+ and comes in next thursdayish) even tho I haven't removed the old yet to look at it.

Anyone else ever have a squawking breather valve. Lol!

See less See more
#2 ·
Update.

New reed valve came in Friday and pulled the old one Saturday. Looked the old one over pretty good and didn't find anything wrong with it. Put the old one up to a light and could not see any light leak around the reed.

The new one fit pretty tight in the crankcase. Got a new gasket for it's cover also. Turned the crank by hand on the clutch and heard the same squawk coming out the hose. Thought for a second there that I had throwed money at it.

Since it made the terrible noise before while trying to start it and it cranking a little slow I figured I"d see if it still made the noise after startup but this time I'd jumper it for a faster crank and start. Well it started squawking but started up pretty quick and didn't hear it any more after that. Shut it off and started it again with just what seemed normal sounds during startup with no jumper. Started it this evening also with no more of this issue. So all appears to be good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.