PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 2018 XP1000 that has a rattle at 2800 RPM to about 3000/3100RPM then goes away or is largely drown out by other noise.

It really sounds like it's coming from the exhaust to me but I've bent, hose-clamped all sorts of stuff w/ no resolve.

Link to video of the noise -

Does that sound like engine noise or exhaust noise? (I know it's very hard with a video)

The machine runs great, I just want to be sure it's nothing mechanical - and ideally quiet that rattle down...

Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,708 Posts
I have limited Internet access at the moment so I can't listen to the video, however I can tell you tht baffles inside a muffler can make a rattle that no clamping anything. You might try to bump the muffler with a soft faced hammer without the engine running and listen for internal rattles. Try it hot and cold. When things are cold metal contract and clearances between loose parts may disappear preventing the rattle.

·
Registered
‘17 Ranger 570 Midsize
1,132 Posts
I don’t think I heard anything odd. Is it a new noise? Have you checked the oil or changed it recently?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't say if it's new or not as I just bought the machine (used). In the video you'll hear a buzz/rattle as I rev it up. Oil is full and clean.

I put a moving blanket over the muffler and the noise was much quieter so I'm fairly confident it's coming from the muffler and not the engine. Just thinking it's inside the muffler and not out...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not the same machine but the same symptoms....2018 Ranger 570 full size, a friend said it was "loud" and then he took for a ride and mentioned a rattle in the exhaust. Looked everywhere on the machine for any issues, nothing wrong with springs/clamps etc. Then I brought it to the dealer and they looked at it, apparently....I blew the muffler (sliencer) /packing/baffles out...thats why is loud and rattling. I asked him if this is going to affect the machine or possibly lead to burnt valves and he said no. The sound and rattling do not bother me at all, I am deaf, so I left it as it was, as long as the spark arrestor is there for trail riding (DNR checks for this stuff in MI). Tried to look up aftermarket exhaust systems for my 570, there isnt much out there except for a universal "silencer" and it would have to be welded/modified to fit or a stock muffler, which is pricey. I had wondered why the muffler failed so early (it started at about 1200 miles) and ever since I bought (brand new) my machine....when I drive it there is alot of heat coming off the exhaust, so much in fact that it kinda warped some of the seat plastics and the dealer said that was normal for these machines, it gets so hot you can see the pipe turn bright red. I even talked to Gillomen about reprogramming my ecu and if this would help it and he said not really, Gillomen said what the dealer said, it was normal for these machines to be like that and on the plus side...if I would have my ECU tuned, it sure wouldnt hurt it to have a free flowing exhaust haha. Still planning on doing the ECU tune tho, after I get new tire setup for my "little truck" :)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Pull your spark arrestor and see if it goes away. If not....probably some heat shielding on the exhaust.

Reactions: littletruck570
1 - 6 of 6 Posts