PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode my 2010 Ranger 800 for a few minutes and it started pushing blue smoke out the exhaust bad. When I stopped it continued to smoke out the exhaust for several minutes. It has never been in deep mud or water, the air intake system isn't blocked, no modifications, the oil is half way between full and add on the dipstick, it has 100 miles on it, ridden once a week usually. When it was smoking the motor seemed to have normal power and operated fine. It smelled really bad though. I cant imagine the motor going bad with so few miles on it. Please help, thank you

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Today I rode my 2010 Ranger 800 for a few minutes and it started pushing blue smoke out the exhaust bad. When I stopped it continued to smoke out the exhaust for several minutes. It has never been in deep mud or water, the air intake system isn't blocked, no modifications, the oil is half way between full and add on the dipstick, it has 100 miles on it, ridden once a week usually. When it was smoking the motor seemed to have normal power and operated fine. It smelled really bad though. I cant imagine the motor going bad with so few miles on it. Please help, thank you
Brandon, I would say it is time for a compression test. I have never seen synthetic oil burn blue.........

·
Vendor
250 Posts
I agree with jungleman.. I would perform a compression and leak down test. If you have any questions, we will be glad to help.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
usually an engine that's burning alot of oil will smell like it's burning oil.

To smoke that badly, it's gotta be something pretty crazy. I'd pull the plugs and inspect them. should be able to tell which cylinder it is by seeing which plug is oil fouled. I don't know exactly what would be pushing that much oil into you engine though.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I've seen 800s eat rings in less than 100 miles. Poor air filter seal lets a lot of dust in them. Do a compression test like mentioned and see where it sits. My bet is it's low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts