PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 XP. I am getting both of these codes the wires appear to be ok. It starts hard sometimes, I have to pump the gas and it cranks awhile. It sometime hesitates on hard acceleration. It doesn't do either problem consistently. I have checke the screen on the bottom of the fuel pump, it looks good. It has about 650 hours on it. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
Welcome to the PRC, glad to have ya. Here's some info, hope it helps some or at least gives you and idea where to start.
I'd check the injector wires real good, sometimes the seat pushes down on them a little and can cause them to rub against other things on top of the engine.

51: Injector 1: Open Load
51: Injector 1: Short Circuit to Ground
51: Injector 1: Short Circuit to Battery
52: Injector 2: Open Load
52: Injector 2: Short Circuit to Ground
52: Injector 3: Short Circuit to Battery

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Its likely bad/broken wires to the injectors. Try wiggling them while its running to see if it affects the way it runs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried wiggling them, I couldn't tell a difference in the way it ran. I unplugged each injector wire and could tell a difference. The picture on the polaris website of the injectors shows the injectors having a long tube on them that go towards the bed. It seems mine just has the injectors going straigt to the rail. Has anyone noticed this?

·
Registered
155 Posts
i've seen this numerous times, but on 05 Polaris Sportsman ATVs

wouldn't think it would be a problem on the ranger since it is totally different, but the only way you can throw both codes, 51 and 52, for both injectors, can't be the injectors, has to be at a central location

on the ATVs in 05 it was a poor mount and bad ground for the coil, the coil would arc out of the caps and to the frame and cause the errors

if you run yours in water alot, first thing to do is put some dielectric grease in the plug boots at the coil

and make sure the coil mount is good

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will try that. I figured out that what I thought was a tube in the parts diagram is the wire going to the injector laid out straight. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
On my old 2006 Ranger XP I got the codes 51 & 52 a lot. Turned out in my case burnt connections on the ECM mounted on the firewall under the hood. The wires coming from the Stator to t he ECM and the wire going out to the battery were fried. You couldn't see it until you disconnected the plug in connectors to the ECM. You might want to check yours for some thing like that. That code thing is rather goofy on the Ranger and can lead you on a rabbit hunt to no where. Your problem is no doubt a wiring issue some where.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would concur with what Roadrunner just said about the diagnostic code system being goofy on the Ranger. Problem is that if it is not accurate, what good is it, so it can be a total nuisance. I have had the same code readouts (51,52), spent enormous stress and efforts on dead-end theories, and the problem turned out to be a corroded ignition switch wire!! Good Grief, Polaris! Talk about a "help" code sending you off on a tangent! My feeling is "keep it simple". Every circuit should be dedicated and stand alone such that a defect in one electrical line or component does not cross infect something else. Every added electrical or digital accessory, switch, solenoid, or automatic devise is simply an added maintenance burden which WILL eventually fail and cause problems. Enough on the rant!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Tracksman, I totally agree with ya on the electrical system. I think that's the Ranger's weakest link. Mine hasn't been very bad (just had to replace the ECM that shouldn't have went bad), but many others haven't been so lucky. Maybe the '09 models have major electrical system improvements. I'm waiting a while to see how they hold up for fellow members and might trade my '06 in on a new one next year if all goes well.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Guys, I have to say Polaris did a decent job of cleaning up wiring, routing, etc on the 2009 model. It looks like Polaris gave some serious thought to the new design and the changes don't look like were just thrown on like previous models. In other words they have cleaned up their act and put together a a fine looking and oprerating new Ranger. Will it be perfect, probably not, but after owning a 2006 what an improvemnet!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
You guys are killing me :roll: .........maybe after the new year :D

Problem is that I'll have to start building another cage to suit me again. This time I plan on making it much nicer......AND lighter......possibly aluminum this time. I've gotta design that I may put into light production if it works as well and looks as good as I anticipate. 8)

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I recently drove an 09 and boy is it smooth, from the ride to the engine.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I like how comfortable they are with the new seats, tilt wheel and new pedal locations. Not to mention how much quiter they are. 8)

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I'd like to have the tilt wheel on my Crew. :D

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
carnivore said:
Chiefmorton said:
I'd like to have the tilt wheel on my Crew. :D
It would be real easy to tilt yours.
Oh boy don't tell me that! I'm trying to save for an 800 :D . I know this guy in Michigan thats very good at swapping motors :wink: :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts