PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hunting around today for parts for my driven clutch on my 06 ranger xp and finding that there were no serviceable parts for the clutch (rollers were junk) and my only option was to buy new, I asked the mechanic if he knew why there were no parts available. He told me he asked polaris the same question, and they told him that the rollers were good for the life of the clutch. after that he went on to tell me that once a ranger hits about 7,000 miles they're completely shot. the suspensions are worn out and the clutches (both drive and driven) are need of replacing.

This got me thinking, what is the expected lifespan of the Polaris Ranger? This guy's jaw almost dropped when I told him I had one ranger with about 20,000 miles on it and the other (the 07 ) had about 13,000 miles and were still being used hard almost every day. I'm at a point where I put ALOT of money in these things to keep them running, but when faced with the option of trading them in for practically nothing, and buying a new one for 13,000 plus 6,000 dollars in cab and accesories, I can't seem to make the math work.

I know most people think that 500+ hours is a worn out machine, so I was wondering what everyone elses opinion was on trading up and at what hours/ miles these machines take more money in parts than they do for a new ranger payment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow, hard to believe that 500 hours is worn out in their opinion. My latest Ranger is 2009 which will be three years old in November. We use it on farm daily and put about 3-4 hours a day on it seven days a week. During calving season it is not uncommon for it to run 18 hours a day. I was curious how many hours it had on it when I read this post so I went out to shop and found it to have 2651 hours on it. Knock on wood I have had no repairs to it other than general maintenance. Granted we do not use it as a toy but I can tell you it has more than half its life with an EZ Trail wagon behind it generally loaded with about 2500 pounds of whatever is on trailer at time, usually feed. We maintain all our equipment pretty good as we depend on it and so do the cows! I have not even considered trading up as I always use the equipment up before buying a new piece.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that is alot of hours! especially for an 09! right now our 06 has about 2300, and the 07 has close to 1600.... I'm happy to see I'm not the only one using them ALOT in an every day use on a ranch. we put on more than half of our hours from about march to july during calving/fencing. on average I'm putting on about 750 per year, and dad is putting on about 300 per year on the 06. I'll probably pass him in hours by next spring....

Days like today I put in about $750 in parts alone just to get the 06 back up and running so that I can get to winter. I think I'm averaging about $1500 per year per machine in repairs at the moment. Glad to hear the 09 is working so well for you!

Adam

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I've gotta throw the B/S flag on 500 hours being "worn out". I've seen more than one member on here with over 4000 hours on the older 500 Rangers.....and NUMEROUS people with over 2000 hours. If 500 hours is worn out, then I better go ahead and throw mine in the trash :lol: . Sure, I've replaced a lot of things, but I attribute most of it to the very rough terrain that I ride.....and my riding style and Ranger weight. I'm not sure how well you know that guy and don't mean to insult, but I think he's speculating about something that he knows little about. JMO

·
Rally Committee
3,020 Posts
My 2010 is over 1/2 worn out I guess :eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
pwm said:
My 2010 is over 1/2 worn out I guess :eek:
My 2010 must be half wore out too. I think not!! Although my clutch is acting funny. Kinda shutters on take off when unit is cold after just starting it up. It gets better after being rode for a while. I have read alot on this forum about how the polaris clutch is junk. I will keep running mine till in explodes or implodes how ever you look at it. Bunk

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a 2010 and I hope it never wears out cause I will probably never be able to afford another one at the rate my kids and wife are spending my money.... It was a purchase that I was able to make because of my Grandparents, I got a engraved plaque on it and I dedicated the machine to my Grandparents in remembrance of them....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Worn out at 7k miles and or 500 hours is a joke!! If that were the case I think they would be out of business. With the cost of these machines being so close to a basic car I would expect the quality of them as well as the life expectancy to far exceed the "7,000 miles or 500 hours" timeframe.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fnord said:
Worn out at 7k miles and or 500 hours is a joke!! If that were the case I think they would be out of business. With the cost of these machines being so close to a basic car I would expect the quality of them as well as the life expectancy to far exceed the "7,000 miles or 500 hours" timeframe.
I completely agree with your expectations, yet I have never stuck the amount of money in repairs into a car or truck with similar age or mileage.

Hense is why I ask what is everyones opinions of reasonable life expectancy from these machines? The generall agreement in this neck of the woods is that most people would be terrified of buying one of these with 700-1000 hours. mainly because of the repairs they will need in the next 1000 hours. I don't mind repairs, I'm a mechanic by trade, so grease never bothered me. :D

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I think that when buying a used one, a lot of cosideration must be given to it's previous owner, main use, and whether or not it was regularly maintained. 1000 hours spent on a farm in Nebraska (flat) by a guy that performed regular maintenace is nothing like 1000 hours on the rough trails of the Appalachians with an owner that never so much as changed the fluids in it. One machine would probably still look and run like new while the later would be falling apart.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've only had my 2011 XP for 6 months and already have 300 hours and 3000 miles on it. I would hate to think that it is going to be junk in another 6 months...I still have 2.5 years of payments left!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Adam, I have to honestly tell you that I thought it was time to trade my 06 700xp with 300 hrs., but when I see the amount of hours that you and some others have put on your Rangers, I realize that mine has a lot of life left. My father always had the belief that you should buy a truck and drive it until the wheels fell off, but I just wanted to use it's first half life and sell it for half of the initial price. Always thought that provides the better value. I also use my Ranger on the farm, but it is row crop, and it doesn't see the use of a livestock operation. The reality is that it's one of the better farm equipment investments that I have made. But still, that new 2012 looks very nice. Thanks to all of you that take the time to help keep our Rangers on the road!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Its nice to hear that you have that many hrs/miles on yours.Me being new to the sidexsides had me wondering just how long this thing would last.So it was good to hear that it can last..I'am also a firm believer of grease and maintance and do all my own repairs.The other thing is that I'am a easy driver I treat it like its my truck or car.so hopefully it'll last me.My quad is a 1991 and still running and looking good with original tires that have still 3/4 thread so if my Ranger treats me as good I'll be happy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know most people think that 500+ hours is a worn out machine, so I was wondering what everyone elses opinion was on trading up and at what hours/ miles these machines take more money in parts than they do for a new ranger payment.
My machines last forever, but they are used, not abused, as you read through the forum you will see people who really beat them up.
I have done absolutely no work on my 2005, change fluids and a new battery, but that's it. Works every day, summer and winter and always starts and runs smoothly. Couldn't ask for a better machine in my opinion.
Take Care Jim

Reactions: Patretire1

·
Registered
9 Posts
After hunting around today for parts for my driven clutch on my 06 ranger xp and finding that there were no serviceable parts for the clutch (rollers were junk) and my only option was to buy new, I asked the mechanic if he knew why there were no parts available. He told me he asked polaris the same question, and they told him that the rollers were good for the life of the clutch. after that he went on to tell me that once a ranger hits about 7,000 miles they're completely shot. the suspensions are worn out and the clutches (both drive and driven) are need of replacing.

This got me thinking, what is the expected lifespan of the Polaris Ranger? This guy's jaw almost dropped when I told him I had one ranger with about 20,000 miles on it and the other (the 07 ) had about 13,000 miles and were still being used hard almost every day. I'm at a point where I put ALOT of money in these things to keep them running, but when faced with the option of trading them in for practically nothing, and buying a new one for 13,000 plus 6,000 dollars in cab and accesories, I can't seem to make the math work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts