PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone actually done this? I already have an aftermarket set of A-Arms that I like a lot so building a new set of arms from scratch just seems like overkill to me. I've considered two, modest and somewhat simple "adjustments" to my current setup...(1) weld-in an extension plate where the ball joint mounts to the arms, extending the mounting point out 1" or (2) design boxed extension brackets that would bolt into the existing mounts on the frame and have ears that extended 1" further outwards. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I think Mustangwagz is working on building a set. Maybe he'll chime in with some thoughts.

If I were going to the trouble to make my own, I would make them with adjustable camber. JMO

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Mustangwagz is working on building a set. Maybe he'll chime in with some thoughts.

If I were going to the trouble to make my own, I would make them with adjustable camber. JMO
I agree!! My problem is this...the MacPherson strut design has been around for many years on the Polaris ATVs...I would have thought the aftermarket companies would have designed work arounds or multiple products to address this issue. Simply installing an adjustable eyelet to accept a ball joint shaft from the top would correct this. They've incorporated heim joints on the full size unit arms, running dual arms...why not make the mid size arms the same?

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Back in the day when strut was all that was available, I saw a few different conversions that basically changed it to dual A-arm. Of course that involves adding additional frame work for an upper mounting point, etc.... I thought about doing it to my '06 back then, but changed my mind real quick after I saw all of the work it required. It simply wasn't worth it when the struts did what I needed them to.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the day when strut was all that was available, I saw a few different conversions that basically changed it to dual A-arm. Of course that involves adding additional frame work for an upper mounting point, etc.... I thought about doing it to my '06 back then, but changed my mind real quick after I saw all of the work it required. It simply wasn't worth it when the struts did what I needed them to.
Agreed! I have a buddy looking into this as we speak but I too believe that this may simply be too involved. Extending the length of the OEM or Aftermarket A-Arms seems to be a pretty simple job. You really shouldn't need anything more than 2 pieces of metal, a welder, and a drill press...that's it! There really isn't any additional hardware!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
No, I'm talking where a arm bolts to frame. That would be alot less stress I think. I mean you could put one where the ball.joint is but I think that area has too much stress

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I'm talking where a arm bolts to frame. That would be alot less stress I think. I mean you could put one where the ball.joint is but I think that area has too much stress
Huh, I never thought about putting heims joints at the top...hmmm... That aside though, I don't think it would be too much pressure at the hub-end. Hell SATV already makes their full size Ranger, A-Arms with adjustable heim joints at the hub which is what gave me the idea originally.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks SiPPMSH. It looks like superatv has changed the a-arms they are selling for the midsize. Would probably be the same concept to extend the new ones they offer. I like the new ones they have because they are high clearance. May order a set and see what they are like. Will update my tread with pics and what not if I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks SiPPMSH. It looks like superatv has changed the a-arms they are selling for the midsize. Would probably be the same concept to extend the new ones they offer. I like the new ones they have because they are high clearance. May order a set and see what they are like. Will update my tread with pics and what not if I do.

Duck I'm running the SATV Gen II Arms and absolutely LOVE them! Fit and finish is perfect and these things are stout! My initial thoughts for extending the A-Arms were of simplicity; just weld an extension plate to the top of the existing ball joint plate and be done with it. You actually went in and added yours in the middle of the existing plate, which was great for keeping everything lined up, just seemed like a lot of extra work to me...regardless, 10 months is more than enough time to prove your work so congrats on that brother!

·
Registered
176 Posts
We added a top plate after the extension was put in. Should be way stronger than the original and like you said it keeps everything in line. I was nervous a little when we started cutting. My buddy said "Don't worry bout it, we can fix everything but a broken heart". Haha. Can you post a picture of the Gen II arms?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We added a top plate after the extension was put in. Should be way stronger than the original and like you said it keeps everything in line. I was nervous a little when we started cutting. My buddy said "Don't worry bout it, we can fix everything but a broken heart". Haha. Can you post a picture of the Gen II arms?

Duck, I can't post a pic as I don't have any of my unit (I'm not much of a camera guy lol) BUT I can direct you to another member's thread that does have pictures...http://www.prcforum.com/forum/108-mid-size-rangers/59560-new-super-atv-forward-arched-arms.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd like to see a set installed on a midsize. Maybe the guy from that thread that you posted the link to will post installed pics. I know you said you aren't a camera guy but if you get a chance can you take a picture of yours installed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.