PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone considered a way to make the fan come on at say 180° verses 205°? I don't want to spend a couple of hundred bucks to send my ECM into an company to re-program it. Can we reprogram the ECM ourselves in some way?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know of anyway to do that but I'm also not sure if it should be done. Engines are engineered to run optimally within a certain temperature range and for Polaris that's 194-204. My GMC truck stays at a constant 210. When I used to race shifter karts and was running on a road course in cool weather we would put duct tape strips on the radiator to keep the engine at a certain temp. If the temps got too high we would rip a strip off while on a straight to keep the engine at NOT (normal operating temperature).

I bet pyro has some more insight on this.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The dynamic thermistor test on the 500:

To perform this test, the thermistor will need to be removed from the unit. Place an appropriate container
on a hot plate, add enough water to the container to submerge a thermistor; begin to apply heat. Place the
thermistor and a thermometer in the water. As the water heats, measure the thermistor resistance. To pass
this test, resistance should be 622Ω - 760Ω at 131o F (55o C), 339Ω - 414Ω at 167o F (75o C), and 196Ω
- 240Ω at 203o F (95o C).

In theory you could put a resistor in parallel with the thermistor to lower the resistance across the range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts