PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the trials & tribulations of attempting to use 1/4" Lexan for a backglass for my 500, I got some 1/8". Installed it today & quite happy w/ how it turned out.

Sketch

Installed

The top of the panel is even w/ the top of the xbar. The lower edge of the panel touches the top of the upper seat support.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Great job! How did the bend look after pulling off the protective coating?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a line across. I'm getting some window tint (Realtree AP) to apply before reinstallation, so it won't be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ridgekid said:
Great job! How did the bend look after pulling off the protective coating?
Here's what it looks like:

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks great! Do you use heat to bend it? If so, would the heat make it brittle at the bend? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
891 Posts
can't say for sure what method Kris used on his back glass but I would guess that he had it mechanically bent since heat would have melted the protective film...I used heat to bend mine and it isn't at all brittle.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The glass shop used their brake to bend it.

Here are a couple of pics of it installed.

The camo window film is from camowraps. Now a question, I have a half w/s, is there any problems w/ air pressure on the back glass when trailering it?

Reactions: tuna

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
That looks great!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rockn h said:
That looks really good. :wink: Never thought about asking to see if a glass shop could bend Plexi.
Unfortunately 1/4" is too thick for them to bend. I imagine if they didn't sell Lexan or other plastic sheets, I doubt they'd have a brake.

I did a 90 odd mile ride on a railbed Sat' & there was very little dust in the cab. I only had to wipe the GPS screen a couple of times (same as speedo face). There was no dust to speak of on me or the seat. This is a vast improvement over the open cab w/ a half w/s. Another bonus w/ my new roof & backglass, is there is no more noise from the flapping of the canvas/vinyl "cab that I had been using. I'm pretty sure for what I paid for it is more than the sheet of plywood & Lexan. I'm pretty sure any member on here could make the roof & backglass that I have made.

Reactions: RickC1

·
Registered
17 Posts
It looks amazing. Very well done.

Would you mind telling me what size of 1/8 plexi/lexan is needed for
a) full front windshield
b) full rear backglass

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shooter, the backglass I made doesn't quite extend down to the bottom of the rool cage. I dn't think it's necessary to make it any longer. I should add what the angle is for the bend.

I'll try to remember to measure my half & full windshields tomorrow. If not next week.

The full w/s was a Polaris part & made of 1/4" mat'l, same as my homemade half w/s. I'm not sure if you could use thinner mat'l for the haf w/s or not, it might be a bit too flexible. Mind you, a slight bend @ the top could be added.

Thanks Jerry.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
shootfirst said:
It looks amazing. Very well done.

Would you mind telling me what size of 1/8 plexi/lexan is needed for
a) full front windshield
b) full rear backglass
You have to use 1/4" on the front if you want it to last any length of time.....especially if you plan to tow it on an open trailer at highway speeds. The 1/8" stuff will flex like crazy and won't hold up to much more than 15 or 20 mph.

The 1/8" works fine on the rear because the bends add some rigidity.......and you can also add clamps to the center.....you don't have that luxury on the front windshield.

Reactions: revrnd

·
Registered
825 Posts
[You have to use 1/4" on the front if you want it to last any length of time.....especially if you plan to tow it on an open trailer at highway speeds. The 1/8" stuff will flex like crazy and won't hold up to much more than 15 or 20 mph. [/quote]

This is the reason I personally, and the rescue squad have gone to the auto style windshields. It is not unusal for us to tow 80-85 mph and we worried we would blow the windshield out. I also like that they glass ones do not scratch in heavy woods and underbrush. Unfortunately they do not offer the more open visibility of the snap in plexiglass ones

·
Registered
17 Posts
revrnd & commanderjjones -

thanks so much, fellas! I like the satisfaction of doing these projects myself,
so I really appreciate threads like these.

Do you fasten with these?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shootfirst said:
revrnd & commanderjjones -

thanks so much, fellas! I like the satisfaction of doing these projects myself,
so I really appreciate threads like these.
Yes, that's what the Polaris w/s came w/. I purchased some thru a local ind' supply store when I made the backglass.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does the back glass reduce the noise coming from the rear any?

And how did you get the camo on there? Is it like a one way mirror, so you can see out?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts