Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Nice work Neal. I'll bet its kinda nice working on the unit when the body panels are all removed, huh?

I must admit that I'm a little jealous to not be involved in the assembly portion of the project. I swear that if we lived a few miles closer to one another I'd be a frequent pest.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Me too Randy!

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it would be great if we lived close enough to enjoy this together. I will say though that since we weren't able to start when the weather was bad it is very convienant for me to run downstairs and work on a couple of hours when it is rainy or early Saturday/Sunday mornings before Tam and J crawl out of bed. For instance, the RW heater was completed 3 sessions of 1-2 hours. Ton the his weekend we are hosting a family pcinic that I need to do alot of preperations for but you can count me squezing a couple hours here and there on the HD. It's really a hobby to me.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And yes Randy, with the nose removed was a great oppurtunity to install the heater. The vent locations RW prescribes in their literature are not the optimum for functionality. With the nose off it made it easy to run the hoses closer to the outside where they belong. Actually, if someone with an HD drills where they have illustrated in their picture they will drill directly beneath the power steering motor/gearbox. If they are lucky enough not to drill into the gearbox they will still need to cover a 2 & 1/8" hole they will not be able to use. I intend to send RW a note telling they may want to consider changing their directions for those installing heaters on HD's.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Neal, get some good pics of this area you are talking about drilling. On mine, you removed the kickpanel pieces and drilled holes in that. What did they change and what is this 2 1/8 inch hole for?

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 2 &1/8" hole is consistant to the all the installations where you penetrate a surface to mount the vent hose barb and diffuser. Unfortunately, there is not enough width in the kick panels nor is there a clear path for the hose to drop down into them like yours and my old XP had. These new units are actually much MUCH easier to do alomot anything on. Notice theinstrument cluster laying in my lap making wiring modifications 10x easier. And the battery is near twice the size of old units.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
I remember now the big hole I had to drill under the hood area for the water hoses to run up to the heater core. That was a pain to do!!

Where did you mount the vents if there is no room in the kick panels? I know there is one on the dash but where do the other 2 go now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts