PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have just finished up my wiring project toady & had to share...

I love how factory those Contura X switches from OTRATTW look!

From left to right starting on the top row...

• Running lights - Kills the power to the front running lights (have turn signal kit), the rear running lights, and the back up lights to make the ranger completely dark
  • Factory head lights
  • Front light bar
  • Work lights for the bed
  • Manual override for the backup LEDs - I have the back up LEDs wired into the backup sensor wiring, but this allows me to manually turn them on if there is a need for extra light while working behind the ranger
  • Factory drive selector
  • Winch control
  • Power dump bed
  • AUX power plug in the bed - I have the 60 gallon polaris sprayer, so this lets me kill the pump from within the cab
I used the HELLA fuse & relay block that allows each circuit to be connected to the power source independently, so some a keyed & some are always on...

From top to bottom on the relays
  • Backup lights - I have almost 10 volts coming from the backup sensor, so that would have kept the LEDs on.
  • Front light bar - I know that the power draw on the lights does not need the relay, but I had 4 slots, so I used it
  • Rear work lights - I know that the power draw on the lights does not need the relay, but I had 4 slots, so I used it
  • AUX power in the bed
I was able to find the matching factory connection for every thing that I hooked into (except the winch plugs, which I replaced with a more water proof connection) so I made everything "factory" to allow the connection to plug into the existing harness.

·
Registered
207 Posts
nice profesonal job man!!!!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Wow I'm jealous...that looks great...I was I had the talent to wire like that.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Nice job!! Awesome..

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Nice work indeed. Looks like that took a while.:cool:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Ya, I have a little too much time in it--the con of being a perfectionist.
No such thing as "too much" if the outcome is what you wanted. I'm guilty of the same stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Nice work. Great looking install. Wish I had that patience... LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, I have just finished up my wiring project toady & had to share...

I love how factory those Contura X switches from OTRATTW look!

From left to right starting on the top row...

• Running lights - Kills the power to the front running lights (have turn signal kit), the rear running lights, and the back up lights to make the ranger completely dark
  • Factory head lights
  • Front light bar
  • Work lights for the bed
  • Manual override for the backup LEDs - I have the back up LEDs wired into the backup sensor wiring, but this allows me to manually turn them on if there is a need for extra light while working behind the ranger
  • Factory drive selector
  • Winch control
  • Power dump bed
  • AUX power plug in the bed - I have the 60 gallon polaris sprayer, so this lets me kill the pump from within the cab
I used the HELLA fuse & relay block that allows each circuit to be connected to the power source independently, so some a keyed & some are always on...

From top to bottom on the relays
  • Backup lights - I have almost 10 volts coming from the backup sensor, so that would have kept the LEDs on.
  • Front light bar - I know that the power draw on the lights does not need the relay, but I had 4 slots, so I used it
  • Rear work lights - I know that the power draw on the lights does not need the relay, but I had 4 slots, so I used it
  • AUX power in the bed
I was able to find the matching factory connection for every thing that I hooked into (except the winch plugs, which I replaced with a more water proof connection) so I made everything "factory" to allow the connection to plug into the existing harness.
Any way you could email those pics? For some reason my computer will not show them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any way you could email those pics? For some reason my computer will not show them.
I'm sorry, but which pictures are you not able to see? The ones that I posted so up in your quote of my post & on the home page, so I am not sure which ones you are referencing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Beautiful job ! You mentioned that you found the factory connectors in the stock wiring harness for these improvements, could you show them ?
I'm installing turn indicators on my 2014 400 (midsize) . No kit, DIY. I figure mine is a different harness , but would like to see them.
Thanks !

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful job ! You mentioned that you found the factory connectors in the stock wiring harness for these improvements, could you show them ?
I'm installing turn indicators on my 2014 400 (midsize) . No kit, DIY. I figure mine is a different harness , but would like to see them.
Thanks !
Here are the wiring plugs & the place that I got them...

There is a wire that you have to tap into off of the brakes in the front, so I made a t-harnes using the same factory plugs that I found here...

Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Delphi / Packard » Connector Kits » GM Delphi / Packard - 2-way un-shrouded GT 150 3.5mm centerline sealed female Kit for CLT/VSS
Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Delphi / Packard » Connector Kits » GM Delphi / Packard - 2-way GT 150 3.5mm centerline (sensor side) sealed connector Kit for CLT/VSS (production kit)

Then you have to separate the orange wire that makes the brakes come on in the harness in the rear to be controlled separately to allow for right & left turn signals. I did not want to cut & splice that connection either so I remade the harness using these plugs...

Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Delphi / Packard » Connectors » GM Delphi / Packard - 3-way Metripack 150 Receptacle assembly
Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Delphi / Packard » Connector Kits » GM Delphi / Packard - 3-way Metripack 150 Plug Kit

I removed the t-harnes that goes from the plug under the bed to the lights & replaced with a new harness that did my brake lights & back up lights. It looks very factory.

I know that you said that you are DIY'ing the signal kit, but this is the one that I bought & started with...

Polaris Ranger 900XP Street Legal Dot Kit Turn Signal Horn Ranger 900XP Crew | eBay

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thank you ! Knowing where to get factory compatible connectors very useful. My turn/park set up is simple, separate turn signals in rear (park already in factory light) Fronts, used amber light assembly, fit in grill opening. Park, spliced into headlight. Turn separate. Parallel harness for turns, fused, power from always hot for flashers with out key. Used Signal Stat 900 turn indicator that was awaiting resurrection. Already did horn, next will be back up lites. I'm a frugal cuss, so will spend my time rather than buy . Love rooting in parts bins, coming up with jumbles that will, somehow, be made to work, and look good too. Did I mention Time ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
JW, Great job on the wiring! I am looking to add a few accessories with a separate fuse box, and I am inquiring about your aux power plug in the bed. What did you use for the plug and how is it wired? I am also looking to do the reverse-light set up, similar to what you have done. Can you elaborate on that as well? Thanks, so much, for the information.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JW, Great job on the wiring! I am looking to add a few accessories with a separate fuse box, and I am inquiring about your aux power plug in the bed. What did you use for the plug and how is it wired? I am also looking to do the reverse-light set up, similar to what you have done. Can you elaborate on that as well? Thanks, so much, for the information.
Thanks. As for the aux plug in the bed, I have the polaris 60 gallon sprayer, which comes with the a quick connector that battery tender uses. I bought this 25' extension cable...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW2MWW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000NCOKZQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FWNRPXXCWMQ2D40659H

I then routed the cable from a relay in the front, all the way to the back, along the brake line with the back edge under the bed, and behind the skin that covers the left side of the bed. I then keep the slack tucked in that space behind the skin & reachable via the gap in the front of the bed when raised. Now any accessory that I need to have power just has the matching end installed, so all I have to do is plug it up & flip the switch on the dash. Makes spaying very easy to control the pump.

As for the backup lights, here is a diagram for the wiring that I put up on another post...

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lots of good information. Thanks again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice job..I have a big head ache from just thinking of trying this!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts