PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the Firestorm heaters and debating between the "under the hood" model at $449 vs the "under the dash" model at $359. Does anyone know any pro's and con's between the two? Seems to me the under hood model is located higher up so the chance of being under water is less.I also wonder if one is easier then the other as far as installation.I know I want both defrost and heat on the floorboard, which both offer i believe..SidebySidestuff are out of the underhood model now so maybe that tells me something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I'll be running highboy half doors so a heater might be a waste of time all together. I realize it wouldn't be toasty by any means but was hoping at lower speeds it might take the edge off..I was also thinking I might rig a clear plastic piece over the passenger side door to help the wind from blowing across..

·
Registered
621 Posts
I inquired about each and was told that the heat output is the same on both models.

I went with the underdash model because it was cheaper and install looked easier. Also easier if I need to work on/replace the unit since its right there. Didn't plumb it in the way the directions showed, plumbed it in our way and it gets HOT in the cab, if plowing snow or driving around slow I have to turn it down or it will cook ya out !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got off the phone with SidebySide and she told me that both models were mounted under the dash and the one for $449 had more BTU's..grrr..I like the idea of the easier install and maintenance.Fuse..Thanks !

·
Registered
621 Posts
You bet! I think you'll be happy with either model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just installed the under dash heater. It wasn't bad and puts out plenty of heat. Friend got the under hood model and install was not fun. Also I cannot find the under hood model for a lot 900xp any more, the full size model says it will not fit 900's. It was available in November as I had it in my cart on Amazon but now gone. The only problem I see with the under dash is if u had 3 adults. With 2 adults and a kid its not bad. I put my T in the radiator inlet in the vertical radiator hose on the left side, not sure if it shouldn't have been in the horizontal piece but this was easier. I don't get heat until the engine gets 170* but would consider trying to come off the thermostat as others recommend if I did it again. Also I would get a 5/8 heater valve to be able to shut the heater flow off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts