PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the new 2018 570 full size ready to go, including removing the lower a arms to finish welding the area where the two tubes join the eyelet that Polaris left open . If left unwelded they will begin to crack and may fail at the worst possible time, talking from experience. Since I had them off it was a good time to grease the bolts so they wouldn't rust in place later on, followed by a popping out the CVs and applying a liberal amount of low water wash out grease to the splines and adding a o-ring to each CV stub shaft to help seal out dirt water and debris as best as possible. A feature only available from Polaris on their Texas edition Rangers for $4,000 extra.

She's ready to ride as soon as the power steering kit shows up from FAS Motorsports.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Not trying to be critical of your work but leaving paint on the weld area causes contamination and porosity in the weld which weakens it.

I'm curious as to how often you see the a-arms fail in that area? I've had hundreds of Rangers in and out of my shop and have never seen a failure on that part of an a-arm and I'm in an area of some very rough country.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, totally agree didn't have all of the paint off of it and it wasn't my best weld, but it will be good enough that it won't crack there. Every full size 570 we have owned which has been three until recently, have all experienced cracking in that area followed by breaking of the tube if I don't catch it in time. Usually after 5 to 800 hours or better . Our country is not terribly rough up and down, but it is rough going across country as far as ground surfaces go (bumpy). Also these machines all have full-size hard cabs + Equipment so I would guess they are carrying at least 500 to 600 lbs with rider most of the time . I have not seen this on any of the Ranger 800 or 900 I have owned or worked on, just the 570 full size. Of course it is the only Polaris I have purchased that has not had the A-Arms fully welded which may have something to do with it. Even the old Ranger 700 with the front strut suspension had a piece of strap welded between the two tubes for support and strength. These do not.

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
That is a major weak point on the 2005-2008 a-arms. I finally said enough is enough and had a stainless steel pair fabbed up and they are still flawless after five years...

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It's all very strange to me. In the past four years and hundreds of Rangers I've never seen a failure in that area of an a-arm. I see everything from series 10 through 2019 and have never encountered that problem. I'll probably have a couple of calls about it this afternoon.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
I saw one failure of an "A" arm on YouTube:
Maybe a little extra weld would have prevented his problem, but truthfully the design of the joint isn't all that strong. Tubes inserted into a forged socket and welded would be very strong. If not forged, then drawn/formed of 10 or 11 gauge steel.

I took care of the weakness in my 2018 Full Size "A" arms by replacing them with SATV arms which have adjustable camber, in fact the camber adjustment is the whole reason I replaced them. Additional strength is just a side benefit since I never had a break in the original arms.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw one failure of an "A" arm on YouTube:
Maybe a little extra weld would have prevented his problem, but truthfully the design of the joint isn't all that strong. Tubes inserted into a forged socket and welded would be very strong. If not forged, then drawn/formed of 10 or 11 gauge steel.

I took care of the weakness in my 2018 Full Size "A" arms by replacing them with SATV arms which have adjustable camber, in fact the camber adjustment is the whole reason I replaced them. Additional strength is just a side benefit since I never had a break in the original arms.
That is a video of one of my 2017 failed a A-Arms a summer or 2 ago

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,996 Posts
So
That is a video of one of my 2017 failed a A-Arms a summer or 2 ago
So now I know who Dieselfume is. You put out some good videos by the way.

Reactions: POS POLARIS

·
Administrator
7,761 Posts
"So now I know who Dieselfume is. "................ Yeah, but don't hold it against him............

Reactions: POS POLARIS

·
Registered
2018 Ranger 570 full size
25 Posts
Just searched 570 full size and found this thread. Great writeup! I have 130 hours on my 2018 full size 570 and will be watching this area of A arms. Since you have had several 570 one lungers, any valve issues? Mine has 30 psi and before I tear into it was wondering if you have done the valve repair/bucket/tappets?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just searched 570 full size and found this thread. Great writeup! I have 130 hours on my 2018 full size 570 and will be watching this area of A arms. Since you have had several 570 one lungers, any valve issues? Mine has 30 psi and before I tear into it was wondering if you have done the valve repair/bucket/tappets?
I'm assuming that question is directed towards me towards me.. On 4 out of 5 of the 570 machines so far I have adjusted/replaced buckets because of a valve ladder clearance issues. I would check it by the 500-750 hour mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts