PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright several things I’m thinking about here with forward arms. Will a 30-32” tire hit the front bumper on a 2020 xp1000 with a 2.5” MMA lift with forward arms? Also 1.5” vs 2”? Does the 2” make a major angle to the CV joint? Looking to make it as strong as I can. If you have photos that would be awesome too.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,704 Posts
LIfts up to about 2" generally don't cause much trouble. I can't tell you about clearance on your particular vehicle, however I will say that big (tall) tires change effective gear ratios ultimately removing some low end pulling power. They are also harder on axles and transmissions. Stronger axles, IMHO, are not the answer. Axles act as sort of a "fuse" breaking before much more expensive and more difficult to repair transmission internals break. What is the maximum size tire to retain reliability? II don't think there is a definite answer to that question. Much depends upon your personal riding style, common sense, what terrain you ride and whether alcohol is involved in your off road forays. In short, Polaris engineers their components to be reliable with the stock set up and a driver that is a bit hard on things. Their engineering is not to make their machines bulletproof when large tires and high lifts are used. Any additional strength they build in is to prevent warranty repairs and maintain their reputation.

In the past the planetary gear set in the transmission was a weak link along with the reverse chain. Somewhere along about 2019/2020 they started using a redesigned transmission that is supposed to be stronger and has no planetary gear set. I don't know whether your machine has the new unit or not. I may be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that there are two versions of the upgraded transmission as well, one with a reverse chain and one without. (This is from memory and may well be incorrect) Toxic 21, jungleman or BPS can probably provide more accurate information. In any case, the new trans is still relatively new so there is no long track record to base just how much modifications to tire size will affect it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LIfts up to about 2" generally don't cause much trouble. I can't tell you about clearance on your particular vehicle, however I will say that big (tall) tires change effective gear ratios ultimately removing some low end pulling power. They are also harder on axles and transmissions. Stronger axles, IMHO, are not the answer. Axles act as sort of a "fuse" breaking before much more expensive and more difficult to repair transmission internals break. What is the maximum size tire to retain reliability? II don't think there is a definite answer to that question. Much depends upon your personal riding style, common sense, what terrain you ride and whether alcohol is involved in your off road forays. In short, Polaris engineers their components to be reliable with the stock set up and a driver that is a bit hard on things. Their engineering is not to make their machines bulletproof when large tires and high lifts are used. Any additional strength they build in is to prevent warranty repairs and maintain their reputation.

In the past the planetary gear set in the transmission was a weak link along with the reverse chain. Somewhere along about 2019/2020 they started using a redesigned transmission that is supposed to be stronger and has no planetary gear set. I don't know whether your machine has the new unit or not. I may be mistaken, but I think I remember reading that there are two versions of the upgraded transmission as well, one with a reverse chain and one without. (This is from memory and may well be incorrect) Toxic 21, jungleman or BPS can probably provide more accurate information. In any case, the new trans is still relatively new so there is no long track record to base just how much modifications to tire size will affect it.
Thanks for replying!You have some good points and I like your thought on stronger axles. It is basically a fuse. So now I am thinking 30s will be the max tire for me since I do use the low end and pull. If I need to get more clearance I’ll just do the 1.5” forwards to keep it simple. Unless people say the angle isn’t bad then maybe 2”. Nice thing is I have time to think about it. I tend not to get crazy with it either. I don’t Sink it in mud. It’s a hunting rig designed to get me as deep as possible and take all the gear I can carry.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 20 crew XP1000.

I didn't lift at all, just went with HL Forward a arms.

They easily clear my 30 inch carnivores. Would say I love them, but I'm about to have to completely rip them out and reinstall after putting in aftermarket bushings.

The HL arms don't come with new bushings, don't come with grease fittings and recommend reusing factory bushings. I did so and should've known better. Within a month they were squeaking like hell. I greased the crap out of them but should've never reused.

Otherwise they're great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 20 crew XP1000.

I didn't lift at all, just went with HL Forward a arms.

They easily clear my 30 inch carnivores. Would say I love them, but I'm about to have to completely rip them out and reinstall after putting in aftermarket bushings.

The HL arms don't come with new bushings, don't come with grease fittings and recommend reusing factory bushings. I did so and should've known better. Within a month they were squeaking like hell. I greased the crap out of them but should've never reused.

Otherwise they're great.

View attachment 137495
thanks for the information so you’re saying you would keep the factory bushing but add grease fittings.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Get quality bushings such as garage products or super daves.

The new a arms come with grease fittings.

Reactions: pyromedic
1 - 6 of 6 Posts