PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a crack in my rear lower a arm bracket weld. It's the bracket that is welded to the frame. Should I be concerned and possibly contact Polaris. I have a 2" pro lift Installed. I'm sure that had nothing to do with crack but I'm afraid if I do contact Polaris they'll give me the run around due to the lift installed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Depending on how new machine is, looks pretty new by the paint, i might would go to the trouble to take the lift off before I took it in if under warranty, if out of warranty I'd find a local welding shop, 50 bucks be good as new, don't think it will hurt anything where it's at noway but if it's new I'd want it fixed, just my opinion

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
hmmmm, how would we know how new/old it is ?

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are you sure that’s not just a “crack” in the coating and not the weld?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would be chipping that paint away for a better look. Could be it wasn't clean when powder coated.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I would be chipping that paint away for a better look. Could be it wasn't clean when powder coated.
Could also be there is some flexing there that is causing the coating to chip away.

Reactions: Stroke250

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
IMHO, the first thing to do is determine whether it is actually a crack, flex that caused coating to chip away or just the end of the factory weld. The first thing I would so is try to apply force to the area and look for movement. That may take two people, one to apply force the other to observe. If I thought there was a crack I'd take it to the dealer and let them do what they would do, i.e. inspect and give it the OK or make a repair. Either way, at that point you have documentation of the possible problem while under warranty.

If I wasn't happy with their assessment and I still though there might be a crack I'd remove the paint from the area after taking several close up pictures for "evidence" and use a magnifying glass and good lighting to inspect the area. Cracks and stress points usually provide telltale signs like an observable crack in the weld bead itself, or next to it, pitting, porosity or undercutting of the metal next to the weld bead. If the crack has been there for long you may see evidence of rusty powder in the area where flexing has taken place and worn away small particles of steel which readily rust leaving the residue.

Short of checking for cracks with Magnaflux you may be able to enhance the crack with a dye which will penetrate the crack and make it stand out for greater visibility. Special fluorescent dyes and a UV light can be used. A DIY method would be to go to NAPA and purchase fluorescent oil leak detector liquid, thin it with kerosene, paint it on the area, wipe the surrounding area clean and use a UV flashlight to inspect. The thin fluorescent dye will penetrate and the crack will be clearly visible under the UV light.
Search Results For "Uv Flashlight"

Reactions: Rangerwhit

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for info guys. I'm gonna chip some paint off tonight and really inspect it. Don't trust dealers assessment before my own first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hit it with a wire brush to get a good look and bring it to a welder if cracked. Its an easy fix.

Reactions: RJ
1 - 14 of 14 Posts