PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 didn't come w the frog skins on the two side mounted air intakes. Should I follow no some aftermarket and adhere? I know they became standard in 2014 but not my model year.

If yes, where do I find them? It is exceptionally dry and dusty right now, got me thinking.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You can order the replacement side panels with them installed already. They are different than your style, more than just a cover over the opening. There's a bit more support from the plastic grille behind the frogskins. Are they worth it? I think so. It's standard on the 2015 up for a reason.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This is a good thread on the snow intake re-route kit Polaris offers that I used as well as some more info on the Frog Skin... LINK

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is a good thread on the snow intake re-route kit Polaris offers that I used as well as some more info on the Frog Skin... LINK
Thank you, helpful. Coincidentally, I forgot about that thread but had seen it back in 15 and ordered the snow kit from fixmytoys. The box arrived from ups and I never opened it, still sitting in the sealed ups box going on 2 years. I read it adds noise to the cab and I decided I didn't want that. My issue is dust not snow, the kit would help for sure but I see from the link you provided, there is a replacement side vent cover with the frogzskin covers 2880673. Not sure how much that will help with dust, does anyone know?

Edit, Never mind, these new vents are $138. Wow, not happening. I can probably order some from skin covers for $20, hopefully

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the frog skin stick on covers. Can someone measure the size of the skin on their ranger so I know what size to order? Not the vent size but the outer edges of the frog skin itself.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'll try to remember to measure today. discussion on another site on the vent relocate kit, the ones that have it say the noise is only noticeable at full throttle and according to them at that point it's a nonissue.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If it's real dusty I'm sure you have a lot of dust coming up from behind seat where the snow filter installs I started that thread it's a real good idea for snow like it's designed but the amount of dust behind there is terrible without a cab seal kit I had to reroute mine up like a snorkel and the noise behind seat really don't notice it but up after I redid mine yes it's annoying I'm on the fence with my new one. Snorkel or leave stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Found the frog skin stick on covers. Can someone measure the size of the skin on their ranger so I know what size to order? Not the vent size but the outer edges of the frog skin itself.
I do not believe you will find them in this exact size. Due to the fact that they are made for Polaris.
You can purchase them through Polaris.

The plastic panels with frogskin are offered in a kit, you get both left and right side in the box.
If I remember correctly, it is cheaper than buying them seperately. I will have to find the part number.

UPDATE: The kit part number for the frogskin panels( L/R with FS installed) is Polaris part# 2880673 apprx $100

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
RF1, I have a rig just like yours. The frogskin is worthless for keeping dust out. Install the gizmo moving the intake inside the cab. The noise isn't that big of a deal. Like others have commented, seal all the holes behind and under the seats. Every little bit help. When all else fails, wolfsnout and goggles.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
RF1, I have a rig just like yours. The frogskin is worthless for keeping dust out. Install the gizmo moving the intake inside the cab. The noise isn't that big of a deal. Like others have commented, seal all the holes behind and under the seats. Every little bit help. When all else fails, wolfsnout and goggles.
NTD is correct, the frogskin is designed to repel water, it does not filter dust well, although Polaris says it does.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NTD is correct, the frogskin is designed to repel water, it does not filter dust well, although Polaris says it does.
Oh, ok. I wont buy, I need dust protection not really water

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Just to add a point of interest to the conversation, last year I noticed that the Frogskin on my full size 570 was covered with pollen after riding, so, it does filter at least some pollen from the air. I'm not certain exactly how the Frogskin keeps out water, but I suspect it has to do with using the surface tension that is inherent to water's properties. If it filters any dist it is probably due to electrostatic charges build up in the synthetic material that Frogskin is made of as air passes through. I have a washable HVAC filter in my home that relies on electrostatic charge to filter the air and it is quite efficient, however it is also several thousand times thicker and denser than a Frogskin which enhances it's efficiency in collecting dust in comparison to the much thinner Frogskin.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Where I ride it is DUSTY in the summer. Before I got DF 1/2 doors, sealed up every hole I could find, and moved the air intake inside the cab (diy for around 10 bucks) I cleaned the filter after every ride, and the dust was caked on. Should say i bought my rig with a full front windshield, a roof and back window.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts