PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do y’alls 900’s have front drive line noise? I have replaced the whole prop shaft n noise is still there ....is this a common noise??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd like to hear the noise you're talking about if you can get a video or recording that demonstrates it. I've got a noise in the front of my '18 900 that I think I have isolated to the 'steering box' (I don't know what that assembly is called). I changed tie rod ends because they were really loose and I expected that to cure the noise but didn't. I bought ball joints but haven't installed them yet, and I really don't think they're to blame. I also have new wheel bearings for the front that I ordered before raising the front for diagnosis but the stock bearings are pretty solid too so I haven't installed them yet either. Anyway, I'd like to hear the noise if possible, mine sounds almost like a diesel engine chattering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try over the weekend....n low it’s quite as a mouse but n high at faster speed u can here it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Drive line noise can be tricky to pin down. It can originate in one place and sound like it's coming from another. Noise from a bad wheel bearing can travel up an axle shaft (drive shaft is what Polaris Manual calls it) and sound like it's coming from the front differential or transmission. Something amiss in the front differential could could like it was coming from the rear.
It may be worth your time to do some additional investigation with a mechanic's stethoscope or a screwdriver held to the ear while the vehicle is on stands and making the noise. The point of origination should be the loudest and clearest.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Drive line noise can be tricky to pin down. It can originate in one place and sound like it's coming from another. Noise from a bad wheel bearing can travel up an axle shaft (drive shaft is what Polaris Manual calls it) and sound like it's coming from the front differential or transmission. Something amiss in the front differential could could like it was coming from the rear.
It may be worth your time to do some additional investigation with a mechanic's stethoscope or a screwdriver held to the ear while the vehicle is on stands and making the noise. The point of origination should be the loudest and clearest.
If it’s a clanking sound check if there is still some slack between the front yoke. The splines also wear on the front pinion. I even installed the new cv style propshaft in my 13 which is a big improvement but I still have some clanking in the yoke. Why don’t Polaris run seals or boots on these joints is beyond me. I guess we are supposed to replace the splined shafts in the diff and trans every 3000 miles. I can’t stay ahead of this lousy engineering. Darn, I love how this machine rides and drives though. I am searching for shaft boots for future mods too. I know probably most people trade every three years. My opinion

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it’s a clanking sound check if there is still some slack between the front yoke. The splines also wear on the front pinion. I even installed the new cv style propshaft in my 13 which is a big improvement but I still have some clanking in the yoke. Why don’t Polaris run seals or boots on these joints is beyond me. I guess we are supposed to replace the splined shafts in the diff and trans every 3000 miles. I can’t stay ahead of this lousy engineering. Darn, I love how this machine rides and drives though. I am searching for shaft boots for future mods too. I know probably most people trade every three years. My opinion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ihave 2018 900 xp 1400 miles front driveline noise was terrible. Took in to check out cvt drive shaft. I swore that was where the noise was comming from worse between 5 and 15 mph. I want to tell you it was loud rotating noise did i say it was loud thought the front shaft was going to fly out. Well turn out to be brake pad rattle rear was really lose but noise came out the front. {easy fix u tube = {polaris brake pad rattle} i would not have believed it but its gone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts