PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having the common front end rattle on my Bobcat 3400XL, which is essentially a Ranger Crew with gearing changes and few other mods.

I had checked brakes, hubs, bearings, steering system and carrier bearing for front drive shaft to no avail. Last week I was cleaning it and saw something hung inside one of the strut coils…I picked it out and it was a piece of rubber. I checked the parts manual and saw there is a rubber bump stop inside the steel dome type cover at top of spring…that was it and both sides were all but gone. Part is only 7 dollars each, but you need to pull the struts off to remove springs to replace them. Not too hard once breaking the top strut bolts loose.

now it drives quiet and smooth with no more rattles.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive design
Coil Automotive tire Light Coil spring Suspension
Automotive tire Wood Tread Tire Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the strut's are bottoming out too much it might be time to replace them .
struts aren’t bottoming out and springs are good…the failed rubber bump stops were causing the springs to clank against the upper steel cap.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
If struts are not bottoming out, how did the rubber bumpers get all beat to pieces ? ?
The POCO rubber baby bumpers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>decompose . I wouldn't really have bothered to replace them as they just 'disappear' again...

TX, are you sure that was causing the noise. I have seen several Rangers with no strut bumpers and there was no noise .

·
Registered
66 Posts
The struts have zero compression resistance, only rebound. I bought a set for my atv because i thought they were toast as you could literraly push the rod in at any rate with zero resistance. Realized when i got my new ones that that is how they are designed. So the spring is the only thing that prevents bottoming.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
That most likely is not your noise, but you may have accidentally fixed it when you put your struts back in. That little nylock nut on top of the strut if too sloppy will give you a noise between 5 and 15 mph that will drive you nuts. I bet when you put it back together, you snugged these nuts up and solved it.... bumps tops will give you a hard clunk when they disintegrate , but not a continuous rattling noise.

Glad it's fixed regardless!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update...yeah it was more of a clunking everytime I hit a bump. The noise stayed stopped but then started feeling it hitting rubber stop with minor bumps....swapped out the struts so now it should be good for a while.....at least its riding right now.

Hope so anyway as I'm tired of removing and installing struts and springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts