PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a front windshield. Just curious about which would be the best for my 800 full size.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have no experience with half vs. full windshields. As for myself, I purchased the full poly windshield, installed it and the more I looked at it decided go back and get a glass one. I'm sure there are very satisfied individuals with poly windshields here, but I wasn't impressed with the thinness and really questioned if that could within year-to-year challenges, i.e., a rider reaching up to wiping the dust on a dry surface, limbs checking trail cameras, etc., and decided to go glass. As you know, the glass is more expensive but for me worth it. Chances are with the 800's being phased out and with some patience, I bet you can get some nice options for the 800 now. Best of luck

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
There are several factors to consider.....mainly how you plan to use it.

Full vs. Half.......
If you ride in the cold frequently, I would get a full or pop open. If you don't get out in the cold, a half does a fine job of knocking off those cool morning winds.

Glass vs. Poly......
One of the age old debates. Glass is nice, won't scratch, and you can add a wiper kit......it's also expensive, but a good long term investment. The downside is that they can break and I've seen it happen often where I ride. If you don't ride in tight woods with a lot of overhanging limbs (etc...), glass is a good choice. Where I ride, poly is the norm and you can keep them scratch-free for a long time with proper care and a little caution........but yes, it will eventually get scratched up enough that you'll want to replace it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've had a Polaris full w/s on my '11 that I use in the cooler months. Visibility is still good, no qualms about getting it. I replace it w/ a homemmade 1/2 w/s in the summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I want to build a windshield for my 800 crew and was going to use laminated glass
would using the P-clamps work to hold it because of the weight factor or is there a better clamp to use.
thanks

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
marty has some nicer ones ftd cabs I love mine its plastic T&S

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!!! Here in East Texas we don't typically get too much really cold weather. If we do, it doesn't last too long. I don't mind not having the w/s but my wife says it is a must!! go figure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a Fortress glass slide down front windshield and love it, if it warms up we just slide it down half way, if its cold or rainy simply slide it back up. once you get it mounted it is easily removed.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have a curtis full cab,and i like the poly windshield it has taken some hard wacks and still looks good.:encouragement:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I really like my EMP full windshield. On and off in a couple minutes and fits nice. Especially like the metal lower section that I leave on year round. Makes for a large dash board inside and a nice solid light mounting surface in front. Click that youtube link in my signature for a good look at it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I really like my EMP full windshield. On and off in a couple minutes and fits nice. Especially like the metal lower section that I leave on year round. Makes for a large dash board inside and a nice solid light mounting surface in front. Click that youtube link in my signature for a good look at it.
I got my EMP windshield yesterday. Nice design (clamps for the 2015 rollcage). I tried for a short period of time last night, but couldn't get the weather stripping to stay on the glass. It would pop right back off whenever you have a curve. I know you have to notch it out on 90° bends, but shouldn't it stay put on the smaller curves? What am I missing here?

2015 Ranger 570 mid - BONE STOCK (for now!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought 2 of the clamp on half windshields from babbitsonline and mount them on top of each other. I just take the top one off if it isn't cold. I use mine for hunting so i just mount the top windshield a couple inches above to one on the bottom so i can shoot between the two if needed

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got my EMP windshield yesterday. Nice design (clamps for the 2015 rollcage). I tried for a short period of time last night, but couldn't get the weather stripping to stay on the glass. It would pop right back off whenever you have a curve. I know you have to notch it out on 90° bends, but shouldn't it stay put on the smaller curves? What am I missing here?
UPDATE: You actually have to use a rubber mallet to tap the weather stripping all the way down onto the glass. Everything fit fine and stayed put after I did this and notched all of the corners. Looks nice (at least until I take it out on the trails!). Now to get a rear panel.

2015 Ranger 570 mid - BONE STOCK (for now!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
This windshield doesn't have the metal at the bottom does it? It looks like the windshield goes all the way to the body. Also you said clamps on, did they move away from the thumbscrew method?

Discraftpro

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I bought my 800xp I called the dealer on the way told them I wanted a full windshield installed I was a few hours away and he called me back and said he had no full windshields left in stock but had a Polaris tip out scratch resistant poly windshield would that be okay... sure. I was a little bummed I didn't get the one I wanted but I have it now and wouldn't have it any other way my buddy has full on his and circulates lots of dust and snow and mine I open it to the second latch blocks the wind and keeps dust and snow out of the whole rig even back seat and another plus is when I laid it on its side new year's eve that was our escape. still no major scratches and she sees a lot of mud!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The MR-10 EMP windshield for the FS 570 does indeed go all the way down to the bottom with no metal portion. I agree with the rubber mallet tapping as the way to go to get the weather strip on all the way around. Just put it on, time will tell if I made the right decision.

IMG_2174 2.JPG

Discraftpro

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry Dishcraftpro, I missed the update on this thread. The metal clamps for into the channel on the rollbar -as you already know now. Works great on the trails and cleans up pretty good when muddy - I just hosed it off, didn't hand wash it.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

·
Registered
973 Posts
The MR-10 EMP windshield for the FS 570 does indeed go all the way down to the bottom with no metal portion. I agree with the rubber mallet tapping as the way to go to get the weather strip on all the way around. Just put it on, time will tell if I made the right decision.

View attachment 8801

Discraftpro
Curious, how difficult is it to remove and re-install the windshield, assuming you wanted to take it out during various seasons?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Should be about the same as the ms. They attach using clips that fit into the door channel of the rollbar. A thumbscrew with a washer goes through the glass into the clips. Mine has 2 clips on each side. Hardest part about installing is keeping the weather strip on while fitting it into the windshield channel and trying not to scratch it. I can install or remove it myself in about 5 minutes.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts