PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Terapump that I've used to pump fuel from my 5 gallon jugs into my Ranger. It worked reasonably well, but after four years it failed (again). So I'm on the hunt for a new fuel transfer pump. I would like a battery powered one, but I won't rule out one that runs from a cordless drill.

The current Terapump will cost around $60 so that's my approximate price point. The new pump needs to be self priming. I don't want to have to futz around with it. Place the input and output hoses in the right places and turn it on.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have been seeing a battery operated pump on facebook for a while now. Try Amazon or Ebay.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Harbor Freight has several different ones, I bought one of the big 12 volt ones with fuel nozzle several years ago for my diesel tank to fuel tractor and it has worked great. They have the smaller ones too, but not sure of the quality on them.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have to drop by HF since it's up the street from me. I've seen a number of pumps that were OK with diesel but not gasoline. This will be used exclusively for E-0 gasoline.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at pumps like that. I could easily put that together into a nice, small package with a cord and hoses. However, the GPM is lacking. They actually rate it at 20 to 30 GPH, which is rather pokey and is an equivalent .333 GPM. Assuming it will run at the low end (20 GPH) that means a 5 gallon jug of fuel takes 15 minutes. I'm not waiting around that long. I considered running a dual pump to reduce the wait time, but that's just adding complexity.

GPH to GPM calculator in case anyone is interested: https://www.advancedconverter.com/unit-conversions/flow-conversion/gallons-per-hour-to-gallons-per-minute

·
Registered
308 Posts
I saw a pump that advertises as delivering 70 L/H

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Just a word of caution, their are pumps designed for fuel transfer and then everything else. The ones designed for this will have totally enclosed motors and pump seals meant for petroleum.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You typically don’t see cheap pumps that are “rated” for gasoline! Diesel and kerosene yes.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have a little pump with the intake and output hoses and powered by 3 AA batteries. Was introduced to it by a friend that was using it to fill his generator. It even would stop fuel flow when the receiving tank gets full. Rated for gas. Local Fleet Farm had them on sale with a new 5 gallon jug for $30. The pump is basically a little turbine on the intake hose and helps keeps the intake into the bottom of the container. Probably pumps shy of gallon a minute. Mine is going on two years old. Saved lots of spilled gas on trying to lift and hold a container while filling. I would take a picture but its back in MN. Got into Gillette WY last night

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was wandering through Harbor Freight today, looking for something else, when I spotted a fuel transfer pump that looks very similar to one of the Terapump models. Normally, my rule is that I don't buy anything from HF that is mechanical or requires electricity or batteries. Today, I made an exception. The pump is only $10. At that price, I can buy six of them for the price of the Terapump. If I find a coupon it would be even less.

View attachment 127967

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a pump like that from Tractor Supply. Use it to fill our Kerosene heater out in West Virginia. Works great. Bought it maybe four years ago and still works great. I pull the batteries out at the end of hunting season and give the impeller a little squirt of WD-40. Come the following fall just let a little kero flow thru the pump into a empty bottle to clear out any residual stuff and/or bugs, and she's good for another season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts