PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did and ended up with a ruptured tendon (peroneus brevis) in my lower right leg and ankle. Surgery ($10K) was required to repair it, followed by ten weeks in a cast and orthopedic boot.

I had driven my 2009 Ranger on relatively short trips for six years and frequently experienced pain in my lower calf on the outside of my right leg. After several days of not driving the Ranger it always went away and I didn't think too much of it.

Then this past June I was helping a friend with a work project that required me to be in the Ranger all day long. By the end of the day my lower calf was really hurting and within 48 hours my right ankle began to swell. The rest as they say is history.

FWIW I am 6'2" and I think that the extreme ankle flexion required to operate the accelerator pedal was responsible for my injury. A friend says that gluing a 2x6 on the floor to rest your heel on helps. I'll try this after I'm healed up.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Dude that sucks! Hope you have a speedy recovery. Let us know how the 2x6 works for ya.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I ware work boot's when i drive give's a little lift i guess.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I put wood on the floor of my older ranger and it was substantially better... A longer gas pedal would also fix the problem....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tore my right calf completely in to 2 yearsago . Since then ive had to make a longer gas pedel becuase I couldnt hold my foot up. I was off work for 8 months there is no surgeryto fix it had to let it grow back together then stretch it apart through therapy..

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I'm 6'1" as well, but I guess have never had any issues in the last 6-7 years we've had rangers? neither has my dad or brother. but I guess I wear boots most of the time as does my brother, dad wears slip on shoes?

Don't know what to tell you, sorry about the bad luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
My foot always hurts after doing some riding in the Ranger. Even a 20 min ride and my foot will hurt. Just thought it was me. I too am 6'2".

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I experienced a good deal of discomfort (I am 5'4") with my 06 ranger and put a piece of 2x6 on the floor using the floor screws and some "L" brackets. With my new one I found a piece of black plastic honeycomb left from a car wreck and glued it down with "Hard as Nails". That lifts my heel about 1.5 inches. Better.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Has the problem discussed here been fixed on the 2013 XP900? About 5700 miles and haven't noticed any discomfort.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
we should sue popo lol sorry for the luck iam 6ft7 never had a problem like that but not on it more than a hour or two a day T&S

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Oddly, when I very first got my '06 XP, I had the same leg pain (front of shin) the first 2 or 3 times that I drove it (when we ride, it is typically an all day event). I was a little unhappy, thinking that was going to happen on every ride. But by the 4th or 5th ride, the pain stopped happening and has never happened since.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Genetic defect obviously. I am sure if engineering experienced anything like the above it would have been addressed. Just like the seat belt that cuts into my wife's neck when we ride, someday it will cut just a little bit deeper annnnnnd pay dirt.
I do hope you heal up. I broke my left fibula and that really stunk. Not as bad as having my shoulder rebuilt though.

Du

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
wow you must ride ruff to need seatbelts I never use them myself T&S
Genetic defect obviously. I am sure if engineering experienced anything like the above it would have been addressed. Just like the seat belt that cuts into my wife's neck when we ride, someday it will cut just a little bit deeper annnnnnd pay dirt.
I do hope you heal up. I broke my left fibula and that really stunk. Not as bad as having my shoulder rebuilt though.

Du

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
foot rest 001.JPG foot rest 002.JPG foot rest 003.JPG foot rest 004.JPG

I have polio and needed something to hold my foot/leg up on the gas peddle.when i would go up steep hills my foot would slide off the gas peddle,sometimes it would make for a scary ride backwards.:eek:nthego:.
so i made this out of diamond plate
5.1/2"wide and 11" long b-4 i put the bends in it.Every one i know that drives a ranger made their self one after trying mine.they say no more lag/ankle pain.
I used black silicone rubber to hold it to the floor,and 2 short screws.Be careful if using to long of screws,their is a radiator hose under the floor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have polio and needed something to hold my foot/leg up on the gas peddle.when i would go up steep hills my foot would slide off the gas peddle,sometimes it would make for a scary ride backwards.:eek:nthego:.
so i made this out of diamond plate
5.1/2"wide and 11" long b-4 i put the bends in it.Every one i know that drives a ranger made their self one after trying mine.they say no more lag/ankle pain.
I used black silicone rubber to hold it to the floor,and 2 short screws.Be careful if using to long of screws,their is a radiator hose under the floor.
How did you bend this? With a machine or something else?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Reactions: mtimesplitter167
1 - 20 of 22 Posts