PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just replaced the fuel pump assembly on my 08 Ranger XP700. After replacing, fuel is pouring out the gas tank vent line. Any idea what would cause this?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Errrrr, I dunno, overfilling maybe....:unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errrrr, I dunno, overfilling maybe....:unsure:
Thanks for your response. The gas tank is low on fuel, so that is ruled out. I put the old assembly back in and it does not have same problem, but I was replacing it because I think the pump is on the way out. Any ideas what could cause the fuel pump assembly new assembly to create this problem?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
No idea and I have handled a hundred or so of Ranger gas tank assemblies........ Not even some crazy stuff like the pump being wired backwards would force fuel out the vent tube.. You would have to physically run a hose out the vent to get fuel to spew out..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks- it is really odd. I tried with gas cap loose and it stops, but as soon as it is slightly snug, gas pours out the vent line.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Makes no sense at all. As long as the vent line is clear, it should..............vent. Did you say it runs normally while it is spewing gas out the vent hose ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems to run normal with gas pouring out. I noticed that both my old assembly and new pump assembly has gas running down the side when running (I shined a flashlight in the gas cap area). I think this is normal so that the pressure is regulated, but could the new assembly somehow be directing the excess gas directly toward the vent line? This may be a stupid thought, but I am out of ideas!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Fuel running down the assembly that has been rejected by the fuel presure regulator is normal.fuel directed at the vent is unlikely . It would be advantageous to know what the fuel pressure actually is. Should be 39 psi +/- 3 psi.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
An unvented tank will suck itself down with the vacuum created. Strange that venting with gas cap terminates the spew at the vent line. Is the tank sucking in at the sides while the engine operates ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn’t notice if tank was sucking in. I will try again later and let it run with something in place to catch the gas. For now I put old unit back in. If the place I bought it from doesn’t help me out, I could try just swapping the fuel pumps between the assemblies and see if that does the trick. The new pump assembly unit is not OEM

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I would make sure the vent exit in the fuel assembly is completely clear by running a wire through it. Check that the vent hose is not kinked..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would make sure the vent exit in the fuel assembly is completely clear by running a wire through it. Check that the vent hose is not kinked..
I checked the vent exit and the vent hose and it is all clear. This really issue really has me baffled as I can’t not understand what could possibly cause this. Thanks for your responses and suggestions!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Still, I wonder what the fuel pressure is actually now..

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Silly question: are you certain you hooked the pump to the right line? Assuming an in tank fuel pump, hooking the pump outlet to the vent line would pump gas out as soon as the key is turned on.
I can think of no other reason that fuel would suddenly come out of the tank vent after a pump change if it wasn't coming out previously.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Silly question: are you certain you hooked the pump to the right line? Assuming an in tank fuel pump, hooking the pump outlet to the vent line would pump gas out as soon as the key is turned on.
I can think of no other reason that fuel would suddenly come out of the tank vent after a pump change if it wasn't coming out previously.
At this point, no questions are silly! Yes, I am sure it is hooked to correct line. The vent line comes out at a 90 degree angle, whereas the fuel line is straight. I am truly stumped!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your response. The gas tank is low on fuel, so that is ruled out. I put the old assembly back in and it does not have same problem, but I was replacing it because I think the pump is on the way out. Any ideas what could cause the fuel pump assembly new assembly to create this problem?
Sounds like it’s going in reverse, switch a wire maybe?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts