PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this happened with my 2017 sportsman 570. Like a dummy I left the key on the ignition after refueling which resulted in a dead battery 40 mins later when I arrived at my property. Borrowed neighbors charger and got it started. I left it running for the entire 3hrs I was pulling a brush hog mowing my trails. Fan was kicking on and off like normal. Engine temp 190-210. Unhooked the mower and was heading to cut a log when it died. Turned key....click click click. Open fuel cap, hissed, looked in and see gas bubbling.....then a 2ft fountain came shooting up in my face. Moved like a ninja I dodged the stream and bailed off expecting to see an inferno when I turned around. Luckily no fire. Replace gas cap and wait. Try to start...click click click. Called for help. Got it jump started from a truck but it soon died again. Truck towed me back.

So what happened? Did it really overheat? But why wouldn't it start again?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I doubt that it overheated if it didn't boil the coolant out.
Lucky you weren't turned into an inferno after the volcano erupted.
My guess is the battery might have crapped out after it was discharged.
I would do a load test on it if it will charge back up.
You probably need to check the charging system too after you get a good battery on it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Battery probably near death and won't charge. Some of these sport batteries don't have a good lifespan. Disconnect, charge with small charger till it is fully charged, overnight should do. After that using volt meter check voltage. Should be at least 12.8. Leave for 24 and measure again If under 12 it's toast

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. We did have battery issues with it right after we bought it new. If I remember right the dealer did replace the battery. Any recommendations on a new battery? How do I check the charging system?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If the engine running it should be at 13 to 14 volts. My ranger shows 14.2 most of the time but its also a nice big battery so not to worried about cooking it.
If the battery is 3 plus years old thats pretty good life

·
Registered
401 Posts
You said you left the engine idling for 3 hours, at idle the charging system will just barely be able to keep the thing alive, during the time the fan was running it was discharging the battery. After three hours I'm surprised it didn't die before then. These machine are not designed to sit at idle for more than a few minutes. My RZR is on a charger whenever it's not running because I only use it about 10 minutes on a normal day, that is not enough time to recharge the battery for the lose it suffers in starting the engine. The stock batteries have little or no reserve when new, and much less as they age.

Mike

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was not at idle for 3hrs. For 3hrs I was pulling a brush hog at low speed but probably about 4000rpms.

·
Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
42 Posts
My Rzr 570 stock battery lasted 5 years (and still going). I didn't charge it for the first 6 months apprx. Then it wouldn't start when cold out & just died. I charged it, and now keep it on a battery tender, religiously. Overnight always. Always.
Cured any issue. Started all day long, with minor idle to bring it up to temp.
My point being.... Always have the battery on a tender! It makes a huge difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts