PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
I keep going back and forth on this as well. I’m standing by for answers.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
I've been researching also. The new gen 3 gdp sure looks good. Also, can get 15% reduction with them. Didn't see that option with the HL

· Registered
2,172 Posts
How do you figure how much reduction you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a calculator for the portals.

here's another to figure out the percentage difference between the diameter of two different tire sizes.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
Well, ordered the GPD 4" portals. Recently added a set of 30" tires and wanted to get some torque back. But mainly take the strain off of the transaxle. Reason for going with the GPD is the 15% reduction. With the 30 tires, it should be like dropping down to a 25-26 inch tire. The 30% reduction in the Highlifters would have been way to low for my purposes.

· Registered
342 Posts
Well, ordered the GPD 4" portals. Recently added a set of 30" tires and wanted to get some torque back. But mainly take the strain off of the transaxle. Reason for going with the GPD is the 15% reduction. With the 30 tires, it should be like dropping down to a 25-26 inch tire. The 30% reduction in the Highlifters would have been way to low for my purposes.
What is your top end speed now

· Administrator
6,854 Posts
I hope their machine work and QC is better on the Portals, than their Gearcases.

· Registered
2,172 Posts
I hope their machine work and QC is better on the Portals, than their Gearcases.

Right at 70mph by myself on a long pull on pavement. Kinda hits a wall at 60 now though and slowly climbs. 27 inch tires would pull right to 80.

Me too sir! The gen 3 has better bearings and beefier housing. Ive watched a lot of SlikRok videos. Those guys pound and crawl the heck out of there machines with huge tires and have had minimal failures. They also had some input on the gen 3 design. no stock axle failures sense running portals. Have my fingers crossed. Figured my best bet to try and keep a planetary gear from flying out the back of the trans more than anything. Adding a frame stiffener up front to be on the safe side. Have a mma 2" lift I'll probably remove and get back to stock angles when i install. If you think or know of any way to stiffen or support the rear a arm tabs I'd be very interested.

Don't beat on my machine, but like to shoot a rooster up a hill or drift a corner now and then. So hoping to keep from having a trans problem running 30's.

Hey Greg, why didn't you tell me it cost so much to be cool??:oops:

· Administrator
6,854 Posts
SlikRok gets theirs for free to promote.
And they are not going to tell you about the failures.
Not a good barometer.👍

RJ,
You are $2900 cooler today than yesterday. 😎👍

· Registered
2,172 Posts
SlikRok gets theirs for free to promote.
And they are not going to tell you about the failures.
Not a good barometer.👍

RJ,
You are $2900 cooler today than yesterday. 😎👍
I took it with a grain of salt for sure. Luckily had a coupon that got me just a tad over 2600. Figured if i spit a gear in the trans it would be at least 2000 and a bunch of swearing and bloody knuckles. We'll see. Ill report good or bad. Put around 1000 miles a year on the machine.

· Registered
342 Posts
I took it with a grain of salt for sure. Luckily had a coupon that got me just a tad over 2600. Figured if i spit a gear in the trans it would be at least 2000 and a bunch of swearing and bloody knuckles. We'll see. Ill report good or bad. Put around 1000 miles a year on the machine.
RJ you’re almost 3 years into this. What do you think now?

· Registered
2,172 Posts
RJ you’re almost 3 years into this. What do you think now?

T. I put about 2500 on them before selling them. The only reason I got rid of the is because the machine wouldn't fit into the toy hauler I built. Only had 1 seal failure and that was within the first 100 miles. Just a bad seal. I had no complaints. I ran 15% reduction on 30 inch tires. Would still pull an honest 68 mph on gps with a tune.

Be aware you have to build the machine around the portals. New a arms, hd ball joints, and front and rear frame stiffeners minimum. If getting new wheels? Get 6-1 backspacing to bring the tires in. It prevents bump steer and doesn't stress the rack and pinion as much.

As far as the new dual idlers go... no need unless you're going to a big heavy tire and plan on playing in the mud.

Anything else I can answer let me know.

Reactions: Tcounty
1 - 14 of 14 Posts