PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 xp900 I'm having the glacier pro installed within the week with hydro tilt and lift. Does anyone suggest the 72" poly blade over steel? Most my plowing will be done on gravel, so I let it get snow packed befors I do any plowing. Will do some in town plowing occasionally. How much lighter is the poly and is that a good thing? Dealer said they sell 90% of the steel. Is the poly worth the extra $150 and waiting 2-3 weeks as its backorder?

Sorry for all the questions but I have done alot of searches and found nothing much on the 72" glacier pro system and comparison of steel vs poly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I used the 66" poly last year and seemed ok. Easy to pick up and easy on the winch and front end. Not much for dragging snow backwards though.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back to original question, on thinking of plow.

Does adding tracks effect the warranty on a 900 ranger? There has to be someone out there that knows this. Thanks k c in u p.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Does adding tracks effect the warranty on a 900 ranger? There has to be someone out there that knows this. Thanks k c in u p.
I wouldn't think so since Polaris sells them. A quick call to your dealer just to make sure, wouldn't hurt!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was told a steel plow is better. Poly, being lightweight, my ride over the snow if it is harder snow. Not sure if this is true or not.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have used both Poly and Steel plows, and found that the lighter poly "skipped" over packed snow , the heavier steel scraped better.
I like poly for gravel, doesn't lift patches ; steel for asphalt, heavier weight scrapes cleaner. Just my preference, beware too wide a plow, if you are moving at speed and hit a packed lump of snow or ice, you will spin around like a carousel . Leverage will do that !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, one at a time:

Confirm with YOUR dealer that would handle YOUR warranty if they will cover it. All I have talked to will (especially if you purchase them there and they install...careful of that sticking point not just with Polaris, but also the track manufacturer...), but as we know there are some *special* dealers out there.

If I were using a winch, I'd go steel.

I went poly, as it is quite a bit lighter and that means easier steering and less wear and tear on the front end. And I can always add weight if I feel I need it:). BUT, I also went with the full electric over hydraulic setup (aka "heaven forbid I have to get out of a warm cab and adjust the plow" ;) ). Note that this does NOT mean down pressure due to the slick way they have it set up (cylinder moves a cam arm with a strap on the end that actually lifts the plow...).

Note that with tracks the plow is a bit too narrow - when the blade is angled you are wider than the plow.... I have yet to find any wings for the Glacier Pro, though there are holes waiting for them.... If I get my act together I may whip up a wing or two myself and see if I can create something that works. I'm a beginning welder though, which means I'll likely make it too heavy, it will break anyway, and I'll get more practice:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ordered the Pro set up with poly 2 weeks ago. Called today to find out why I haven't gotten shipping info yet and they told me the frame and mount are on back order until Dec 5th and the blade until Dec 12th.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the Pro set up with poly 2 weeks ago. Called today to find out why I haven't gotten shipping info yet and they told me the frame and mount are on back order until Dec 5th and the blade until Dec 12th.

My dealer has everything in stock for the Glacier Pro fully Hydraulic "Lift and Tilt", which i am doing along with the steel blade.(Not yet installed) I was thinking of going with the poly beings it only $150 more and was told it weighed just a bit less and the poly still has a steel frame, but was told Dec. 5th back order (so add another week I figure). Dealer also told me 90-95% every blade they sell is Glacier Pro with the steel. The Next week don't look like much snow for me to worry about, but I have not seen much on suggestions or reviews on the 72" poly with steel steel frame. Figured If i really wanted to i could always attach 3/16 o 1/4 sheet of poly to the steel face as a wear part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer has everything in stock for the Glacier Pro fully Hydraulic "Lift and Tilt", which i am doing along with the steel blade.(Not yet installed) I was thinking of going with the poly beings it only $150 more and was told it weighed just a bit less and the poly still has a steel frame, but was told Dec. 5th back order (so add another week I figure). Dealer also told me 90-95% every blade they sell is Glacier Pro with the steel. The Next week don't look like much snow for me to worry about, but I have not seen much on suggestions or reviews on the 72" poly with steel steel frame. Figured If i really wanted to i could always attach 3/16 o 1/4 sheet of poly to the steel face as a wear part.

I was told the poly was actually a little heavier due to it having more steel in the frame to support it. I wonder which is true. I didn't order through my local dealer. They won't budge on the price of any accessories want msrp for everything. I can do a lot better on Internet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't lifted both myself, but the dealer checked for me and confirmed the poly plow weighed less.... so one of the two dealers is wrong:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't lifted both myself, but the dealer checked for me and confirmed the poly plow weighed less.... so one of the two dealers is wrong:)
I'm sticking to having the steel blade put on, but still curious to the weight difference and peoples experience with the 72" poly after its been out awhile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts