PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the gmrs radios in there machines, they as clear as they say? Do you like them, are u applying for licenses or just running them?

·
Registered
493 Posts
As I read it; anything above 2 watts "needs" a license and other things I read say it is not really enforced.
My take is, if it is used sparingly and not in a metro area it's probably safe
As per Midland Corp.https://midlandusa.com/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it/

·
Registered
108 Posts
In wooded hilly terrain the "bubble wrap" radios are very limited .The claims of 30+ miles are greatly exaggerated in my experience with a .5-1 watt limit. We use Baofeng radios with a 1 or 5 watt option, that have better range in the woods. In the decades I've used two way radios I never have, or heard any one being called out by a "Barney Fife" who has nothing better to do. As rbarre pointed out , use responsibly and doubt you'll have any issues. https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R-Plus-Range-Radio/dp/B07CMZ2QCF

·
Registered
2018 Polaris Ranger 900 xp
4 Posts
Anyone running the gmrs radios in there machines, they as clear as they say? Do you like them, are u applying for licenses or just running them?
The base in my 900 XP Ranger is a GMRS radio. I have 2 hand helds that others in my party use and we get great comm.
I am in southwestern Oregon and the terrain is up and down. I only got a 1/2 mile with a CB and it was noisy and lousy. Put the GMRS in and I get from 4 miles to 20 or more range and little noise. I use the very short radio antenna. The license (I think bout $75) and is for the entire family and the private feature keeps the lurkers away. More expensive ---- yes, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The base in my 900 XP Ranger is a GMRS radio. I have 2 hand helds that others in my party use and we get great comm.
I am in southwestern Oregon and the terrain is up and down. I only got a 1/2 mile with a CB and it was noisy and lousy. Put the GMRS in and I get from 4 miles to 20 or more range and little noise. I use the very short radio antenna. The license (I think bout $75) and is for the entire family and the private feature keeps the lurkers away. More expensive ---- yes, but you get what you pay for.

I have a 900xp as well. Waiting on a Midland MXT-275 to show up. Mind telling me where you mounted your antenna? I'm a bit stumped on how I'm going to do that..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts