PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Half windshield and dust

13K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  clayton74 
#1 ·
Considering adding a half windshield for several reasons but not interested in a full windshield at all. My concern is the dust. We do not live in a particularly dusty area but in the summer months a lack of rain can cause some of the orchard lanes and plowed fields to become dusty. My wife has severe asthma so I do not want to do anything to create any added issues. Does the half windshield cause extra dust like a full windshield does? What brand should I be looking at? Thinking the Polaris Pro Fit Lock and Ride unit. My Ranger is a full size 570. Thanks.

#2 ·
I think the major dust issues went away with the full back of the cab being enclosed, it used to create a vortex of suction.

I have a half windshield, sport roof and plexi tee panel. You'll still get a bit of dust in the cab but it tends to sweep in at foot level.

#4 ·
I bought the Polaris half windshield, biggest wast of money i've ever spent on an accessory. If I could return it I would, it doesn't block shit! Do yourself a favor and save up for a full windshield.

Reactions: teshreve
#5 ·
If you don't think it blocks anything, you haven't spent any time riding without it. Been using 1/2 shields for years. The reason I stay away from full is it's too much of a pain to keep clean and you can see over the top of the 1/2.

To the OP, if you want to avoid the dust, get the rear panel as well. Helps alot over just the 1/2 shield by itself.

Reactions: revrnd
#7 ·
I'm with Clayton on this one. I have 1/2 windshields on both my Ranger and RZR. The reasons I like them are;
1. Deflects the wind out of my face but allows it to flow over the top quarter of my head giving a bit of a cooling effect (a BIG deal in the South!).
2. When I ride with guys with full windshields, every water hole equals a stop for them to wash the dust off so they can see their way to next stream. No stream means they dump their drinking water on the windshields!
3. I just like the look and feel of the 1/2's - guess it makes me feel more like I'm part of the environment.

If I lived up in the frozen north, I may feel differently...

#16 ·
X2

Before I added a back glass to my Ranger & swapped the full w/s for a half w/s, I was covered in dust espcially on old railbeds. I'd have to wipe the face of my GPS off every 5 minutes.

Now w/ my current setup, there is some dust, but it's greatly reduced. For a day's ride on a railbed, I might wipe the GPS a couple of times.

Mid Sept' I'll put the full w/s back on since on cooler days, the wind on your face is harsh. Due to a late start to winter I was still riding until the 1st week of Jan'. I'll be back riding in April when the snow is gone. I'll wait until May before putting the half w/s back on.

#9 · (Edited)
we love our half windshield....... cant imagine running without it or with a full ..... we ran it pretty hard sunday in some pretty dry desert.... no dust issue at all!!

CLICK ON PIC.......

hope this video works!!

#10 ·
Wow, good chat! My windshield is a quick release full (with upper and lower frames) and is use for cold weather and rain. One thing that I see in the thread and I am adamant that it is a must if you use a full windshield that you have a back window if you run anywhere where it is dusty. Changing conditions is where flexibility is needed especially in the south a folding windshield is great but for me with the quick release full it only requires me to remove the windshield if on a long ride and place in the bed since I have the Velcro rear window in place. This gives us the cooling wind and also minimizes the dust significantly (we keep mini goggles in the glove box if needed). Since I trailer my Ranger (a lot of the time) it is convenient that I have a quick release windshield to keep wind resistance down when trailering. If I did not trailer my Ranger and need the quick release I would have a folding windshield along with the Velcro rear window (to be installed quickly when going fully windshield).

Hope this helps!

Craig

#11 ·
I have the lock n ride half windshield, but upgraded to the full glass windshield and it is much better. Hey Trippin I'll sell you my half windshield.

#12 ·
How much? Just ordered one on ebay but might be able to cancel lol

#13 ·
I was thinking $125

#14 ·
Man if you were closer! If mapquest is correct your up in the Fargo ND direction, I'm 2 miles from iowa and 30 miles from Wisconsin! To far of drive for me lol. Thanks tho!

#15 ·
Yep I live 50 mile east of fargo near Detroit Lakes. I agree that would be long drive.

#17 ·
I guess i'll be the odd guy out because I thought the 1/4 windshield would block more air. My face still gets winded, but my neck is blocked if they would have made it four inches taller it would be great. The only real benefit I can see to it is it looks good. Now the back panel made the Crew sound quieter and keep the weather off the rear passengers.

#19 ·
I will agree it's not perfect. The 1/2 shield worked better on the older 800 body style than the new 900. It was a little higher and had a return on the top that helped kick the wind up and over your head while still being low enough to see over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.