PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have a 800 XP ranger and it is hard to start after it gets hots we might and I say might be on to something so I would like for a couple of you to try it and see what happens.

The hard starting issue we are trying to fix is when you have been running it a while, turn it off and start it back up within say 5 min or so and it won't start until it cools down.

Take the seat out and look on the drivers side of the fuel rail where the fuel line runs in from the passenger side, on the drivers side you will see a rubber hose that goes from fuel rail and just terminates about 6 to 8 inches from fuel rail. This is a fuel pressure damper, actually this is the very first one I have ever seen on any EFI vehicle.

Anyway, take it and fold it over near the fuel rail and put a wire tie on it basically making it useless.

I did it to a local guys after trying to fix it every other way and the local dealer trying to fix it and this has so far fixed his. Not a lot of time on it since but seems to have .

If this does in fact fix it I am thinking there is air trapped in it and when at rest it expands or when at rest there is fuel in there and it vapor locks it.

If you are having the issue please try this. I don't have a pic to show you so if you don't understand call me

If this does prove to fix it, we will come up with a more permanent way to fix it other than folding the line over with a wire tie

Todd

·
Registered
899 Posts
That's a good thing to know. I know exactly what you're talking about. I've often wondered what that stub off the fuel rail did.
Thanks

·
SSW Moderator
3,662 Posts
Great Info Todd! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I hope that's a permanent fix. It's nearly unbelievable that it could be something so simple.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've heat wrapped the fuel line, installed a cooling fan, done about all the quick fixes explained on here and had about given up and was going to take to the shop in a few weeks even though over the phone they have no idea what is causing it. I purchased my 2011 XP with 10 hrs on it in jan. 2012. The first time it actually cut completely off while riding one very hot day last July. Ever since and seems to be more recurring now, it will not start 5 min after shut down if it has been running a while at operating temp. Gonna try this and hope it helps.

·
Vendor
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RangerXPinNC said:
Thanks for the info. I've heat wrapped the fuel line, installed a cooling fan, done about all the quick fixes explained on here and had about given up and was going to take to the shop in a few weeks even though over the phone they have no idea what is causing it. I purchased my 2011 XP with 10 hrs on it in jan. 2012. The first time it actually cut completely off while riding one very hot day last July. Ever since and seems to be more recurring now, it will not start 5 min after shut down if it has been running a while at operating temp. Gonna try this and hope it helps.
Please let me know, so far it is working on this one guys here.

Todd

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've had my temps over 235 because I forgot to turn fan on and so far no starting issues ,just had to replace springs and gaskets on exhaust.I have a 2012 800 XP and so far I've had no issues with anything . I can't understand why some units have issues and others are failure free . I run hard in mud and deep water .

·
Registered
899 Posts
Jeff Polisena said:
I've had my temps over 235 because I forgot to turn fan on and so far no starting issues ,just had to replace springs and gaskets on exhaust.I have a 2012 800 XP and so far I've had no issues with anything . I can't understand why some units have issues and others are failure free . I run hard in mud and deep water .
Mine got that hot too and the fan was on. Or it should have been. Now I have an override switch for it. When mine went hot it was a 100º day and I was trying to keep up with 2 RZR's. Running 45 mph was too much for it. I slowed to 35 and the temp dropped to around 215º. Of course at that speed I couldn't even see the dust from the two RZR's :?

·
Vendor
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff Polisena said:
I can't answer that one, this one started later, has not always done it

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first problem I had was in July and it just shut down. I had been riding the kids around for an hr or so. It did it one more time a week or two later on another hot day. Both times it had to cool off before it would start back. Ever since then, it's only been hot starting problems from which I had shut it off but not due to any problems. The temp of the machine always stayed where it should and the fan works flawlessly. It's something in the design somewhere I think. I never do any mud or water riding, just ride around the farm and haul the kids around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hard start when hot

I had the same problem check with polaris tech line
they said they know about problem and upgraded fuel pump on 2013
13s fuel pumps are 58 psi and older is 43
problem is tank vent stays open all the time allowing debri to enter tank and wear out pump
to a point where pump can't handle heat issue on line causing vaporlock
installing new pump and reprogamming ecu to handle pump pressure fix my problem and relocating vent line and adding filter
will hopefully save pump

·
Registered
6 Posts
I relocated the fuel line and added a filter at about 75 hrs and it has 93 on it now. I had used a pressure washer several times washing the machine and sprayed right into the square tube in front of the rear tire where the vent was in trying to clean the mud out not knowing that the vent tube was in there. When I removed the tube it still had the mesh screen on the end but how much material and water got by it, who knows. I was riding the kids around last night with 2 bars on the fuel gauge and I was having a fair amount of hesitation from idol all the way through hard acceleration up to 30 mph or so. Last summer I had an issue with my j strong top when using the aux 4 lights that the voltage would drop and cause the ignition to misfire and skip. I added another battery and run the top off of the aux battery only. I charge this battery with an external charger only. Last night I checked the voltage on the main battery with the factory lights on and while the fan was operating and my voltage would drop to 12-12.5 and go back to 13.5-14 when the fan shut off. I couldn't really tell much difference in the hesitation while riding with the lights and fan on or off, it was still there. I'm wondering if my fuel pump is getting weak as the previous post just described especially when the tank is near empty? I called my local polaris dealer and was askimg them about my problems and about just going ahead and installing a new fuel pump. He personally thinks I'm foolish to do this but I'm scared of tying up a shitpot load of money in trial and error trying to figure out the problem. Maybe the post above about the tech line is something my shop can look into. Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like your local dealer don't know anything about it they probably don't have polaris digital wrench to remap ecm to match pump
I'm a polaris gold certified tech at our dealer and own a crew

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hunterworks, sounds like you may be on to something, but the 2010's were the first I saw with the hard to start problem. Their fuel rails are completely different from what you describe and their pressure check cap is on the end of the metal fuel line with no rubber hose. I think the rubber hose was added to later models because when the seat got hot and sagged it had a tendency to rub on the cap and cause it to come off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well zip tying the line hasn't helped mine. It won't start now after just 10 minutes of riding. I hope it's the fuel pump. It's going to the Polaris shop in two weeks. It's still running rough almost all the time. Spark plugs may need to be replaced. Tried some gasoline without any ethonal on this tank and no help.

·
Vendor
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RangerXPinNC said:
Well zip tying the line hasn't helped mine. It won't start now after just 10 minutes of riding. I hope it's the fuel pump. It's going to the Polaris shop in two weeks. It's still running rough almost all the time. Spark plugs may need to be replaced. Tried some gasoline without any ethonal on this tank and no help.
Yours may be different, sounds like you have other issues with the bad running deal. This one I was working on runs flawless otherwise.

·
Registered
562 Posts
RangerXPinNC said:
Well zip tying the line hasn't helped mine. It won't start now after just 10 minutes of riding. I hope it's the fuel pump.
There have been a number of cases here in this forum where the fuel pumps get weak or fail after getting hot. That may be what is happening with yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New fuel pump and all is good so far with about 10 hrs of ride time. Dealer said my pump had pressure around 29 psi and supposed to be about 40 or so I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts