PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Finally at the tail end of this project. Six months in the making. I've hauled a lot of dirt and so far, so good. However, I'd like to make a couple improvements and was looking for help:

1. Some ground clearance is lost due to the extra cross bar on the bottom. Would EV springs improve this?
2. With the extra load, the tires may need to be upgraded. Does anyone have any stiffer tire options? The originals are holding up, but I think it would be better with a stiffer sidewall tire.

I am also in process of making the loader quickly detachable. Currently all of the hydraulics are mounted to the tower and a remote joystick controls the valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Holy cow Pete....frickin cool!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
no kidding I could get rid of my backhoe now T&S I would never have believed it if I did not see it myself

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is awesome! How much can you lift with that bucket? Explain what you've done a bit and add some more pictures please.

For tires, the stock on the one I just got was 4ply, I'd want to go 8-10ply if I were you.

Again, really neat excited to hear more :encouragement:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only been in operation a few weeks now, so we will see how the suspension/chassis survives. It's no doubt been a long haul. I spent at least 2 or 3 months planning, then started welding the boom arms in May.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
WOW!!!! That is an impressive looking machine. LockeLamora33 is putting you on the right path mentioning the 8-10 ply tires and I would take it a step further and suggest a truck tire. For suspension I'd say the ev springs would help but, you will probably be better off in the long run going with something like the highlifter hd springs and the marshal Moto art 2.5" lift. Something you didn't mention that would probably be a major improvement would be a dura clutch. With all the extra weight and pushing you will be putting a lot of extra stress on your clutch, belt, and tranny. It may not be an issue now but, it could (and probably will be) in the not too distant future. Again, sweet looking rig! Keep us posted on how she does.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
It's only been in operation a few weeks now, so we will see how the suspension/chassis survives. It's no doubt been a long haul. I spent at least 2 or 3 months planning, then started welding the boom arms in May.
I applaud your skills, but as you have already eluded to, the frame and definitely the suspension were not designed to handle that kind of weight in that position.
I will be curious as to how well it holds up.

Have you weighed your loader assembly?
What size is the bucket?
How far is it extended?

·
Registered
293 Posts
It is super cool. I was leaning toward a 2017 general or a 6x6 if it gets up graded. That would look way cool on a 6x6. Out standing project. Keep the thread going.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding ride height. Does anyone have the PN for the EV springs? How do the rates compare? Do they make the HD highlift springs for the front and rear?

Locke - The load in the photo is about 400-500lbs. I've lifted more, but that is about the limit that you can safely lift IMO, especially if you are hauling down hill!! (not preferred btw!)

Toxic - The loader assembly is approx. 400lb unloaded. Bucket is around 8cuft. It is extended just beyond the front bumper in the down position. I will be tearing it down this weekend to inspect the frame after 2 weeks of use (30+ loads that were transferred in seriously rough terrain). If everything looks good, I will implement the quick-detach feature.

Also.....the only holes that I've drilled in the steel of the entire vehicle are for the tiny screws that mount the joystick remote to the seat frame! Other than that, it's essentially bolt-on!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I can carry a bare fullsize Polaris main frame around by myself with not much problem.......and I am..........mature...

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions regarding ride height. Does anyone have the PN for the EV springs? How do the rates compare? Do they make the HD highlift springs for the front and rear?

Polaris pn/7043706-458 for the rear springs ($96 a pair from Polarisparts123.com). Just get 2 pair. Did not get HL pn but they do make front and rear and run $275 for all 4. Do not have the weight ratings for any.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Imo, you are going to need more rate than what the EV springs will offer.
The Brutus ( M series) with loader uses #900 lbs. springs in the front, and it is a full size.
This is good for work, not so good for play.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Polaris pn/7043706-458 for the rear springs ($96 a pair from Polarisparts123.com). Just get 2 pair. Did not get HL pn but they do make front and rear and run $275 for all 4. Do not have the weight ratings for any.
7044242-458 SPR-95#,14.4FL,1.96-1.65ID,MBK
The above is for a 15' EV front, notice the spring rate!

Pete48, be sure and inspect your steering components thouroughly, that much weight will take its toll on your steering.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
7044242-458 SPR-95#,14.4FL,1.96-1.65ID,MBK
The above is for a 15' EV front, notice the spring rate!
Thanks Toxic, didn't know that's what that meant. That's why I love this site, learn something new almost daily.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Thanks Toxic, didn't know that's what that meant. That's why I love this site, learn something new almost daily.
SPR-95#= for every 95lbs., this spring compresses 1 inch.
14.4FL = 14.4 inches Free Length, the length of spring not installed.
1.96-1.65ID = 1.96 inches on the OD ( outside diameter), 1.65 inches is the ID ( inside diameter).
MBK = Matte Black

·
Registered
221 Posts
That is truely awesome. I could put it to work tomorrow morning and not stop until I broke it. Too cool.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha! Thx Dseldoc!

Toxic - This is great info on the springs. Do you know the stock midsize 570 freelength and rate for comparison?

BTW, I use my ranger for work only. No play. I pull small stumps, drag logs, install docks, move trailers, etc. Mostly running in low gear. I considered getting a Brutus, but I liked the smaller, more agile midsize to get into tight spots.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
Ha! Thx Dseldoc!

Toxic - This is great info on the springs. Do you know the stock midsize 570 freelength and rate for comparison?

BTW, I use my ranger for work only. No play. I pull small stumps, drag logs, install docks, move trailers, etc. Mostly running in low gear. I considered getting a Brutus, but I liked the smaller, more agile midsize to get into tight spots.

Pete48, please put your unit information in your signature.
This way you will get specific answers to your questions regarding your unit.

The info below is for a 15' mid size.
7044228-458
SPR-58-165#,14.4FL,1.7-2ID,BLK

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
How much did that cost?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts