PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Has anyone else had this problem?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is not intended to bash SATV. I have a few of their products including power steering and "A" Arms and have been happy with them. This post is rather to inform and provide a "buyer beware". Your experience may not be the same as mine, but keep what I encountered in mind.

The story begins here after I messed up the OEM axle trying to change an outer CV boot:
Changing Front Halfshaft (Driveshaft) Boot - BIG Mistake!

So, after calling SATV to be certain it was the correct one I ordered the SATV ADR axle on eBay, just over $80 with shipping and tax. Shipping was fast and received it within two days. The morning after I received it I was all ready to put it in and move on with life. Well, sometimes life isn't that easy. The short story is that the outer threaded area that the castle nut screws on to is about 3/8" shorter than the OEM axle. SATV supplied a new Castle nut with the axle but it is considerably larger than the OEM nut. The threads are the same but the OEM nut is longer so it won't go on far enough for the cotter pin holes to line up. When I used the larger nut provided the rubber dust cap that goes on to keep dirt and water out of the hub would not fit.

In the end I had to return the axle to SATV at my expense, about $37, although my PayPal account doesn't show the charge yet. I don't really think I should have been charged for the return since they said that axle would fit my vehicle, but I really didn't have much choice if i wanted to recover part of my original expense. As I stated previously, I'm not bashing SATV, but I think people should be aware that if you buy something that doesn't fit you'll pay the freight back, even if they said it would work.

I'll include some pictures below to give a better idea of the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
That sucks! I'd raise hell with them if I were you. You shouldn't have to pay return shipping!!!! Step up Super ATV!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sucks! I'd raise hell with them if I were you. You shouldn't have to pay return shipping!!!! Step up Super ATV!
I've spoken to them last Saturday. Their tech people tried to help to no avail. I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned, much less expensive than some others I've learned in the past. I'll also bear it in mind next time I need parts. For all the negative things about left wing supporting Amazon, they take things back with no charge for shipping in almost every case; and you don't even have to box t up, just drop it off at the nearest UPS store with the return QR code and you get a receipt and a credit to your account within hours.

Reactions: gmck154x4

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've used these on my xp 1000 with no problems but I don't remember a rubber dust cap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a couple options you could have done to use that new axle. Modify the new castle nut they sent you by cutting it to size you need, or go to a hardware store to find one more appropriately sized. I realize you shouldn't have to do this, but your still without an axle, and it's only going to cost more money in the end.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a couple options you could have done to use that new axle. Modify the new castle nut they sent you by cutting it to size you need, or go to a hardware store to find one more appropriately sized. I realize you shouldn't have to do this, but your still without an axle, and it's only going to cost more money in the end.
I believe the threads were metric and finding a castle but with metric threads would be difficult.
In my case I could have actually put the nut that came with the axle in the mill and milled the hex to the original size, or I could have machined the original nut shorter in the lathe, but, as you say, I shouldn't have to do this. I've got plenty to do without taking on extra work.

From what I can gather, that axle will work on models with a cap on the wheel (see BPS post above) but not on models with steel wheels where the cap fits onto the hub.

In the end I was able to "massage" the damaged splines on my original axle with a file and Dremel tool, install a new boot, repair the circlip that was bent and damaged and put it back together thus saving my original axle. I know a lot more about taking them apart to replace a boot now so that situation won't occur again.

Since this all came about I've done some additional research and learned that other brands of axles come with nuts the original size. The main point is that if you ever need an axle be sure to find out what nut it comes with or the length of the threaded end before buying so you don't end up having extra work to perform what should be a 30 minute job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts