PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out in Colorado this week trail riding and notice the excessive engine braking while going downhill--it will lock both rear wheels and cause the machine to skid. Mine is a 2019 1000XP 3 pax

This is my first Ranger with engine braking, my previous two (400 mid and 570 full) where "free wheelers" so this is a new driving experience that surprised me. I now alternate between both braking and gassing in short burst while going downhill to keep the rear wheels from locking

Is engine braking to a point of locking the rear wheels normal for 1000xp Rangers and (I notice the same on my brothers 2019 1000XP 6 pax as well)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you summern, that sounds like the right solution, esp for the price. Seems like Polaris is going backward on their designs-for what we pay, these machines should have this type of issues....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too want to thank you for that information.

It's a bit unnerving having the rear tires lock up while descending a steep hill.

I'm going to order that part too.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
are you in low try high instead my general will do that badly in low T&S

·
Registered
652 Posts
Plus and minus of shifting into high. Will reduce the torque to the tires but if one gets to the bottom of a gully you have to shift again to low and have to stop to keep from grinding the tranny. Not very efficient IMO.
I do a lot of grinding around on some rolling terrain while doing prescribed burns and try to keep my shifting down if possible

·
Registered
356 Posts
Standard front differential does not stay engaged while descending which can case rear skid issue. The models with ADC diff will stay engaged providing four wheel engine braking. If you want to remove EBS the 1 way bearing can be replaced with the non EBS clutch 2 way bearing. This does require special tools to disassemble and reassemble the primary clutch.

·
Vendor
2,038 Posts
Standard front differential does not stay engaged while descending which can case rear skid issue. The models with ADC diff will stay engaged providing four wheel engine braking. If you want to remove EBS the 1 way bearing can be replaced with the non EBS clutch 2 way bearing. This does require special tools to disassemble and reassemble the primary clutch.
This is a 19 model, it is is different, no two way bearing for it and minimal tools required to take this clutch apart. A turbo RZR primary can be used on it though with the right set up in weights and springs

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
funny I've never used low in either general or ranger never lost a belt hmmm T&S

·
Registered
652 Posts
Apples to oranges with the last couple posts. We're discussing the the newer 1000xp with the newer clutch that was introduced in 2018?
I've found the 2019 to be smoother in taking off and not as jerky which is a nice improvement as I do backup to trailers and some hazardous materials

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
wow unless your hauling heavy loads i still even in the gullies and I've got some major ones stay in high no problems yet on the ranger but the general low up to forty so i hardly take it out when going into deep creeks or crevasses belts still going on general an I've been pretty hard on it T&S JM2CW

Plus and minus of shifting into high. Will reduce the torque to the tires but if one gets to the bottom of a gully you have to shift again to low and have to stop to keep from grinding the tranny. Not very efficient IMO.
I do a lot of grinding around on some rolling terrain while doing prescribed burns and try to keep my shifting down if possible

·
Registered
36 Posts
The feeling of the machine engine braking when letting off the gas is normal, while going down a hill you will feel it engage disengage then re engage is normal but it should be semi smooth. If it starts to decelerate then stop then grab again if feels like its going to throw you through the windshield means there is a problem, the clutches on the new 1000s seem to be a weak point, what I've been seeing is that the one way bearing which is responsible for the engine braking can seize up or stick, if you are feeling what I described most likely there is an issue with your one way bearing and it needs to be replaced. With all the great modifications they did to the new 1000s the clutch seems to be the one thing they ignored. My advice pull that thing out and put a good quality drive clutch in it like an STM or similar. I've seen this exact problem with over 10 machines I ride with from Generals, Rangers and RZRs, the new Turbo S RZR's actually had a bad batch of bushings that were manufactured to small and will come loose and launch themselves around the clutch housing.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yes I'm hauling heavy loads. 50 gallon water tank with a piston pump powered by a Honda and 100 foot of 3/4 inch high pressure hose.
The week of the 4th I was going up and down a flood control dike with the 19 1000xp without issues in both turf mode when it was dry and 4x4 when wet hauling passengers and equipment. Could feel the engine braking but not at all abrupt that we were buckling in and looking for hand holds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts