PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being down with a busted leg I have way to much free time on my hands unfortunately lol Currently Im leaning towards removing the seat covers and adding heaters to the seats for those chilly hog blasting nights. Some models may come with heated seats for all I know but if not has anyone done this before? I’m thinking for around a hundred bucks to make my rear end warm it’s a no brainer but I’ve been wrong before. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
My only concern would be whether the charging system in your Ranger can keep up with the current draw of the heated seats in addition to the requirements of other electrical draws such as ignition, lights, accessories, etc. Most Rangers have a current output much less than your average car and the maximum output is only at higher RPMs. For example, my 2015 Ranger 570 Full Size (XP) alternator puts out only 650 watts at 7000 RPM; lower RPM = lower output. According to my Service Manual, the same year 900 XP alternator puts out 575 watts at 3000 RPM.
Northstar versions probably have higher alternator output to deal with the included heater and A/C and newer models may have higher output as an improvement made over previous years. You need to check the output for your vehicle.

It may be possible to upgrade the alternator by installing an upgraded Stator. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will report on that possibility. Of course that will add to the cost factor of heated seat covers so whether it will be worth while is a personal decision.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't bother with heated seats, after enough seat time the engine heat migrates into the bottom of the seat.
if the cold vinyl seat covers bother you get a section of sheep skin. ( no, I do not use one)
My Ranger is in a climate controlled garage set at 58* F but I will plow for hours at a time .
I am with Pyro on this one about it being taxing on the charging /battery system especially with a electric over hyd. plow
With that in mind I am on my original battery with 6.5 yrs of plowing

·
Registered
356 Posts
I bought 2 heated seat covers from rural king for $13 bucks a piece. Had no issues running them both plugged into the cigarette lighter ports all weekend. When they go bad, throw away and buy another one.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
My truck doesn't have heated seats. But my girlfriends Subaru does. In cool or cold weather or when the back is hurting, They are great. I would think in the ranger it would be the same.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You can buy them from Polaris. They make them plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I bought my used Ranger the previous owner had installed the Polaris seat heaters. I have had no problem with them and the heater both turned on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed Dorman 628-040 in my 2020 northstar 38 bucks on amazon . has hi and low switch , easy install and only pulls about 4 amps and has back and bottom heat pads .

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just installed Dorman 628-040 in my 2020 northstar 38 bucks on amazon . has hi and low switch , easy install and only pulls about 4 amps and has back and bottom heat pads .
How hard was it to take covers of and reinstall them?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wasn’t aware Polaris made a kit for them but I’ll check them out, I appreciate all the help guys!!

Sawman those were the ones that caught my eye so if the Polaris kits stupid expensive this is the route I’ll go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How hard was it to take covers of and reinstall them?

Easy just follow the instruction that come with the kit , Pull out the staples on 3 sides and pull the cover back and and stick the pads onto the foam cushion and re-staple with stainless staples . Very easy !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being down with a busted leg I have way to much free time on my hands unfortunately lol Currently Im leaning towards removing the seat covers and adding heaters to the seats for those chilly hog blasting nights. Some models may come with heated seats for all I know but if not has anyone done this before? I’m thinking for around a hundred bucks to make my rear end warm it’s a no brainer but I’ve been wrong before. Any thoughts?
Had heated seats in my ‘18 Ranger 900 xp, installed by dealer at time of purchase. Had zero issues with power draw when heater was on ( or any other issues with them, for that matter), even on highest setting. My wife loved them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts