PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching the forums and looking at different heater kits available for the 900 Rangers. I would like it to fit up behind the dash and I thought one of them didn't get into that storage box down there like the OEM one does. I've also been reading about the thermostat bypass, and where the oem hooks up compared to some of the others. When looking at where the coolant comes out of the head at the thermostat, there is that smaller hose coming out beside it. Would this coolant line work like the bypass? Any input is appreciated especially if you've been able to compare some of these units.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Motoalliance heater
https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store.go?action=gotoProductDetails&id=1014
It works well especially when going under 30 mph with my canvas doors. I added a thermostat bypass and it gets enough heat to defog the windshield pretty fast.
I have had it out in 14 degree temps and it keeps the cabin pretty tolerable at speed and downright comfy when going slower.
Im happy with it. It came in a good bit cheaper than the stock heater.
My neighbor is planning to get the stock heater but hasn't yet so I cant compare.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Get the oem heater if it's in your budget, it fits perfectly and works super, and the mixer is absolutly necesary, i have to dial mine back riding around with temps in the teens at slower speeds, and the space you lose in storage area isn't worth mentioning it's not that usefull anyhow. And mine starts making some decent heat at about 165 degrees and once you hit 200 it is blowing you out even with canvas doors, i love this oem heater!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was working on my Polaris 700 yesterday and the fan kicked on and plenty of heat blew from fan and it was 28 degrees out vehicle was running for about 4 min. If the small compartment inside by the 12 volt outlets had a 8x6 cutout and a fan switch to turn on fan as needed. It might take a cardboard or metal box to direct more heat underhood. There seem to be plenty of heat and the 300 watt heater I bought for 120 was a joke. any thoughts or ideas

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the motoalliance on and love it. Less than half the price of the OEM and does the same thing.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the MotoAlliance and the heater bypass. Don't see the need to pay more. I make heat at about 140.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the MotoAlliance and the heater bypass. Don't see the need to pay more. I make heat at about 140.
Mine started clearing my breath off the windshield at 80 degrees, just a few minutes after I started it. It started at 16 degrees coolant temp.
My problem is it only goes to 170 at most when driving down the road. I haven't had time to change the thermostat, my commuting vehicle keeps breaking down and taking up my wrenching time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I spoke with the gentlemen who created the unit for MotoAlliance, his suggestion for getting the temperature of the cooling system higher was a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. It blocks the Cold air when the vehicle is in motion. Worked well for me. Raises my coolant temperatures from around 160 (at 20 outside) to around 190 (at about the same outside temperature) while the vehicle is moving at 40 MPH !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ideas. I'm still leaning toward one that doesn't hang down under the dash. It looks like that would leave me with the OEM, Ranger Ware, heatercraft or the one from UPI. Any others like that other than piecing them together from Summit? Does anyone know about what that small hose next to thermostat does. Is there anything else out there for the bypass beside that $150 piece?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I spoke with the gentlemen who created the unit for MotoAlliance, his suggestion for getting the temperature of the cooling system higher was a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. It blocks the Cold air when the vehicle is in motion. Worked well for me. Raises my coolant temperatures from around 160 (at 20 outside) to around 190 (at about the same outside temperature) while the vehicle is moving at 40 MPH !!!!
Thanks.
I really hadn't heard of anyone else having the low engine temp problem, maybe no one else like to ride on the road in winter like me:)

How much do you cover?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'm still leaning toward one that doesn't hang down under the dash. It looks like that would leave me with the OEM, Ranger Ware, heatercraft or the one from UPI. Any others like that other than piecing them together from Summit? Does anyone know about what that small hose next to thermostat does. Is there anything else out there for the bypass beside that $150 piece?
I saw that line and wondered about it but figured if it was viable people would be using it.
I cant find anything for the bypass other than that pricey one. I got lucky and got one from a forum member who got several for cheap somehow.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks.
I really hadn't heard of anyone else having the low engine temp problem, maybe no one else like to ride on the road in winter like me:)

How much do you cover?
I cover as much of it as I can. It really does make all the difference.

·
Registered
207 Posts
has anyone tried using the other hose next to the thermostat??? is it worth it?? I just started taking my machine apart to install a sumit heater,,,need to know this asap thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I unhooked that hose and started it up cold with another hose going down to a bucket. There didn't seem to be a lot of flow but it was warm right away. Don't know if it would be worth hooking it through a heater so the pump would pull it through and see if it would work. Does this go to an oil cooler? I didn't really know how much flow to expect. I don't have a heater installed yet to try it. It would be fairly easy to hook one up that way just to try it. Could it do any harm if it returns it were it was going anyway? (no Tees just in line)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed summit heater, 28,000 btu in my 900 ranger. It is an in dash, everything concealed except for outlets, tapped into 1" line at thermostat housing, no thermostat bypass, great heat at low speed, ambient temp 20 degrees, road speed not quiet as good, but still comfortable. If anyone is interested in install or extra parts in which I used, I will be glad to share information with you

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
I unhooked that hose and started it up cold with another hose going down to a bucket. There didn't seem to be a lot of flow but it was warm right away. Don't know if it would be worth hooking it through a heater so the pump would pull it through and see if it would work. Does this go to an oil cooler? I didn't really know how much flow to expect. I don't have a heater installed yet to try it. It would be fairly easy to hook one up that way just to try it. Could it do any harm if it returns it were it was going anyway? (no Tees just in line)
It does sound like you removed the oil cooler line. It is mounted at the front of the engine, with in/out hoses.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Thanks for the great support of our FIRESTORM heaters at Motoalliance!

We do have an underhood option with vents in dash, defrost, and feet to go along with our in-cab options. PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the great support of our FIRESTORM heaters at Motoalliance!

We do have an underhood option with vents in dash, defrost, and feet to go along with our in-cab options. PM me if you have any questions. Thanks!
Which one fits under the hood on the 900 rangers? I've never been able to figure that out from the pictures.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts