PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a replacement aftermarket helix to that could be swapped in the secondary to eliminate the loud 'clunk' on take-off?

Options seem limited on the Ranger vs General/RZR

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hhhmm, don't know. Mine doesnt have a loud clunk.
Not sure, mine definitely does and many others have experienced what I'm talking about. That said mine is a 2018 and maybe the clutching is different in the newer models? It seems to be design related with the helix and how it's cut to provide EBS. I've got a 2 way bearing and lock-out shim in the primary so I'd love to eliminate it all together but I'm not sure that's possible. I'm not sure if there's any portability between other P90X secondary's that swapping would even be possible.

I understand Polaris says it's normal and even states this in the manual but it's obnoxious for the money spent on these machine (IMO).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there a replacement aftermarket helix to that could be swapped in the secondary to eliminate the loud 'clunk' on take-off?

Options seem limited on the Ranger vs General/RZR
Black Diamond makes a non Ebs helix for po90x secondary, no clunk!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
As above. Your stock helix is a 40/48

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Black Diamond makes a non Ebs helix for po90x secondary, no clunk!
This? POLARIS ALUMINUM P90X DRIVEN CLUTCH HELIX

Looks like a P90X helix but appears to still have the EBS notch. I can call them tomorrow and ask as well.

Edit - looking back I had emails w/ Gillomen and Terry mentioned he's tried a non-ebs helix but then got belt slap. Has anyone actually done this (and/or is running it?).

I'm probably better off just putting ear muffs on or cranking the radio really loud... o_O

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
This? POLARIS ALUMINUM P90X DRIVEN CLUTCH HELIX

Looks like a P90X helix but appears to still have the EBS notch. I can call them tomorrow and ask as well.

Edit - looking back I had emails w/ Gillomen and Terry mentioned he's tried a non-ebs helix but then got belt slap. Has anyone actually done this (and/or is running it?).

I'm probably better off just putting ear muffs on or cranking the radio really loud... o_O
I've heard the same about the belt slap.
Maybe if you were running the p90xt clutch without ebs it could work.
But my 2018 has done same thing since new. Secondary rollers still look good at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go to Giloman and get 2 way bearing for primary and there EBS delete shim and a new Helix. best thing I have done, My bearing locked up (one way) and thats what I got to fix it. Now shifts smooth and no clunk. Also check you alignment on your belt.
Two Way Bearing Modified Sleeve Assembly For P90X

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to Giloman and get 2 way bearing for primary and there EBS delete shim and a new Helix. best thing I have done, My bearing locked up (one way) and thats what I got to fix it. Now shifts smooth and no clunk. Also check you alignment on your belt.
Two Way Bearing Modified Sleeve Assembly For P90X

I've got the 2way bearing, lockout shim, etc. It did help a lot with the heavy engine breaking. The clunk I'm talking about is coming from the secondary.

This clunk I believe is virtually the same, I haven't jumped on it on/off/on/off like that but from initial go it'll clunk (beyond the driveline).

It's just a bummer to me as this is my 4th ranger. Older rangers I had might jump on belt engagement but I can work with that by cleaning clutches and replacing belts (had them all very smooth). The engagement is smooth on this one but that clunk is coming from the clutch. It's a bummer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts