PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone ,
So I picked up a 2011 Polaris ranger 400 for my son really nice and in great shape but they guy told me he replaced the carb there was gas leaking out the bottom overflow tube so I purchased another one on eBay not the best but I can seem to find a oem one and I hooked it up and turned the key the fuel pump came on a gas came flowing out the top two vent lines so I put all the new parts from the carb ,jets float etc. in my old carb and hooked it up and it’s only leaking out the bottom again so I started looking and it looks like the fuel pump isn’t factory either wonder if it is pushing to much fuel or to much pressure to stop fuel from the needle seating inside the carb to stop the fuel flow any help would be great

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Is the one you pulled off original? Or did the PO replace it with a knock off also. Im sorry but ive NEVER heard of a success story with the eBay knockoffs. Best to rebuild the original if you have it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the one you pulled off original? Or did the PO replace it with a knock off also. Im sorry but ive NEVER heard of a success story with the eBay knockoffs. Best to rebuild the original if you have it.
They are both knockoff i wish the original was on there so I could just rebuild that one so not sure what to do I’d hate to buy new oem

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Lots of issues with cheap knock offs. Contact the original owner, if possible, and see if he can supply the original carb. If not, spend your beans on a new one or a good used original.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of issues with cheap knock offs. Contact the original owner, if possible, and see if he can supply the original carb. If not, spend your beans on a new one or a good used original.
Ok I figured that was the only option now what about the fuel pump is the airtex ones ok

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing is the vacuum nipple on the opposite side of the throttle cable side where does that hose go it pulls vacuum not sure whether it’s capped or if there is a line there that runs somewhere

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Fuel pump is essentially gravity fed at 4psi like a lawn mower. Get the oem carb from the seller if he still has it. Have two lines from diaphram that run to one for vent to atmosphere (into frame). The other at the center back is plugged on mine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bite the bullet and spend the $500 on a new OEM. Even if you get the China carb to work it'll let you down quickly after.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put a "knock off" ebay carb on my '04 500 Ranger. It leaked out the bottom also. Finally got the float adjust right so it would not overfill the bowl and the gas leaking stopped. Don't think it is the fuel pump or the carb other than float adjustment. And my Ranger starts right off and runs great with the "knock off" carb and has for 6 months, thank you.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Have a "knock off" in the garage which overflowed also. Called Customer service and the American female rep with a baby screaming to high heaven told me to check the float level. The float was working fine. Turned out to be the drain screw which was blunted from being over torqued. (needle type setup). No comparison to OEM in quality for sure. Has come in handy for a few screws on the throttle cable cover. For Sale if you are interested! lollll... Seems like a box of chocolates to me.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I put a "knock off" ebay carb on my '04 500 Ranger. It leaked out the bottom also. Finally got the float adjust right so it would not overfill the bowl and the gas leaking stopped. Don't think it is the fuel pump or the carb other than float adjustment. And my Ranger starts right off and runs great with the "knock off" carb and has for 6 months, thank you.
I rebuild about 75 carbs a year and refuse to work on anything other than OEM. For the average consumer a China carb can work fine but in a shop they just aren't worth it. Here's why.

About half of them leak right out of the box. The quality of the materials used and the precision of their manufacturing process is mediocre at best. They are one size fits all in that they are not tuneable. There are no sizing numbers on the jets so a guy in Colorado and another in Florida get the same carb hoping it will work. There are no replacement parts available such as bowl gaskets and diaphragms. Lastly, why did you buy a Polaris and not a Massimo or a Kymco?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts