PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I stripped out the hex 'hole' in my transmission drain plug. I am prepared to get it out with a cold chisel, but need replacement plugs. I am in South Africa and my options are very limited, Amazon/Ebay are not really options for me. I have received no feedback from the importer on availability for four weeks. I found a post where someone mentioned getting replacement plugs from McMaster-Carr, or using hydraulic O ring boss plugs. Can someone confirm the dimensions on the three drain plugs (transmission, oil, and front gearbox) so that I can try to source non-Polaris replacements locally?

Any. help is greatly appreciated.

Colin

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I can't help with dimensions but can suggest a possible solution. I would imagine that in S. Africa there must be local machine shops. Any machine shop with a lathe can take dimensions from your original drain plugs and reproduce them out of either aluminum or even stainless steel. There is no requirement for the drain plug to have a hex hole. It could be made with a hex outside like a bolt or nut or even a square cross section.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll have some machined as a last resort. I use the Ranger everyday on the property and am hoping for a off-the-shelf solution

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry everyone, it is a 2015 900 XP that I need the plug dimensions for...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I checked my 2015 Service Manual to see if drain plug dimensions were published and learned that only torque specifications are included.

Hopefully someone can help you with dimensions. If not, I assume you have access to auto parts stores there. If so you may be able to purchase a rubber oil pan drain plug which you can use temporarily while you have new ones machined. This would keep you up and running while still allowing you to obtain proper drain plugs.

Since you are having difficulty in obtaining OEM drain plugs and the OEM plugs tend to be an item that gets stripped out at the hex hole, having some machined of stainless might be the best long term solution because they will be much less likely to strip out while removing them.

Best of luck with your difficulties.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I an try shopping Spares Stores and/or having one machined. But, all those options are a two hour drive away. I am due for fluid changes, but am trying to wait until I have replacement plugs before I pull the old plugs. Once the Transmission plug is out, I will not be able to use the Polaris until I get a replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been able to determine that the Main Gearcase is M18x1.5 and that the Crankcase is M12x1.5. Just need to find the Front Gearcase size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts