PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all the names Evan. I enjoy buying and fixing rangers i buy from Government auctions ive bought 2 now and have managed to get them both running. One thing in my favour id say is the fact that when we were heavily involved in operations in Iraq and Afganistan there was a lot of money floating around and it was easy for units to but vehicles such as rangers for use around bases in the U.S. Anyway the supply system being the way it is it is easier for unit to buy a ranger than it is to buy a belt or simple tune up items since that involves getting 3 quotes and submitting up the coc for approval, so all this takes time and peter starts robbing paul or midnight motor pool ensues resulting in what i like to call a [email protected]#ked vehicle which is sent to Defense Re utilization Management Office aka the junk yard, stricken from property records in into my arms lol.

The first one i bought was a 6x6 and it was bigger and way heavier then i bargained for. It was shoe horned onto my trailer...weight distribution be damned and i drove 50 all the way home... 60 and the trail started wagging the dog. Upon inspection it was missing body work a brake master cylinder, driven clutch the seats were gone, it was missing a wheel as well, outside of that a new battery carb clean flushed out the gas tank new fuel pump and new fluid in everything as it had been drained by an over zealous gov planet employee. It fired up and drove nice. I fabbed up a winch bumper put on some lights a winch and 6 brand new tires. We took it to the desert and found it to be unstoppable on the rocks even though a bit tippy. Top speed was about 40 and it would climb the dunes once you lowered the tp to about 5 psi. It was a heavy though and pretty much maxed out my SUV's towing and braking abilitys. I sold it for a profit not including my labour.

The next one ive had a few weeks now, it looked alot more complete but when i got her home noticed the carb was removed and the intake tract and airbox was full of pea sized pebbles. My shopvac got them all out and i carefully turned the motor over by hand to make sure everything was out. It needed a new card driven clutch 4 wheels and tired , seat covers and a bunch of other small things. It got a 120 psi compression check and that is with 1800 hours on the clock. Once running high range is out due to the dogs worn on the high range gear, also the magnet is broken on the front diff. Other than that i plan on painting it desert tan and making my own version of the polaris military side by side. Anway just wanted to say hello and speak a little about what im up to
20200612_110259[1].jpg
20191214_170145[1].jpg 20200623_172442[1].jpg

·
Registered
893 Posts
Welcome. Maybe you can get a trailer too. I used to get some interesting items out of Fort Knox
The X is supposed to be good to pull 5k. I pull my Ranger on a bit bigger trailer though

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Cool projects! Keep us in the loop once you get the one painted up desert tan.
Thanks man will do
Welcome. Maybe you can get a trailer too. I used to get some interesting items out of Fort Knox
The X is supposed to be good to pull 5k. I pull my Ranger on a bit bigger trailer though
The old sexterra is getting bit tired i had to put in 2 on the way up the hill and you could light a smoke off the brakes on the way down lol., I'm looking for a truck but I'm too damn cheap lol.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm over at the newx.org. frequently. I was just looking at a engine at yard for $1200. Another is for sale at newx for $600. Get some brakes on a trailer. Can be done for less than $300

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all the names Evan. I enjoy buying and fixing rangers i buy from Government auctions ive bought 2 now and have managed to get them both running. One thing in my favour id say is the fact that when we were heavily involved in operations in Iraq and Afganistan there was a lot of money floating around and it was easy for units to but vehicles such as rangers for use around bases in the U.S. Anyway the supply system being the way it is it is easier for unit to buy a ranger than it is to buy a belt or simple tune up items since that involves getting 3 quotes and submitting up the coc for approval, so all this takes time and peter starts robbing paul or midnight motor pool ensues resulting in what i like to call a [email protected]#ked vehicle which is sent to Defense Re utilization Management Office aka the junk yard, stricken from property records in into my arms lol.

The first one i bought was a 6x6 and it was bigger and way heavier then i bargained for. It was shoe horned onto my trailer...weight distribution be damned and i drove 50 all the way home... 60 and the trail started wagging the dog. Upon inspection it was missing body work a brake master cylinder, driven clutch the seats were gone, it was missing a wheel as well, outside of that a new battery carb clean flushed out the gas tank new fuel pump and new fluid in everything as it had been drained by an over zealous gov planet employee. It fired up and drove nice. I fabbed up a winch bumper put on some lights a winch and 6 brand new tires. We took it to the desert and found it to be unstoppable on the rocks even though a bit tippy. Top speed was about 40 and it would climb the dunes once you lowered the tp to about 5 psi. It was a heavy though and pretty much maxed out my SUV's towing and braking abilitys. I sold it for a profit not including my labour.

The next one ive had a few weeks now, it looked alot more complete but when i got her home noticed the carb was removed and the intake tract and airbox was full of pea sized pebbles. My shopvac got them all out and i carefully turned the motor over by hand to make sure everything was out. It needed a new card driven clutch 4 wheels and tired , seat covers and a bunch of other small things. It got a 120 psi compression check and that is with 1800 hours on the clock. Once running high range is out due to the dogs worn on the high range gear, also the magnet is broken on the front diff. Other than that i plan on painting it desert tan and making my own version of the polaris military side by side. Anway just wanted to say hello and speak a little about what im up to View attachment 131181 View attachment 131182 View attachment 131182 View attachment 131183 View attachment 131181 View attachment 131183

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Had a lot of fun with the DRMO, they use to struggle with how to get rid of stuff, this was for us civilians. I liked the auctions but for some reason they didn't, next came the tag sales and that worked till some buyers starting using kids to run in when the gates opened to pull every tag, then the went to a one bid system, and then it was over, contracted out to Govermentliquidation.com, but still found some good deals, then everyone got into the game. I'm not to far from the Rock Island Arsenal, most of the stuff from there is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts