PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a new Ranger. It will be used on the farm and some minor trails. No mud other than crossing some creeks. I’ve heard some bad things about the turf mode. I looked at a Backcountry and the highlighter because they already had snorkels winch and arched a arms. Things I would probably do anyway.

I’ve heard the backcountry had the same gear to gear transmission and no turf mode BUT the one backcountry that I looked at had a switch that had turf, 2 wheel and 4WD. So I’m confused.

I had old ranger and sold it for a Prowler HDX. I want to meet with back to Polaris.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
To me it sounds like the back country model would be exactly what your looking for. No turf mode or reverse issues with the back country as the reverse chain is gone and replaced with a actual gear drive. From what I've read here. And I thought the Back Country came with arched A arms from the factory for more of a lift. And I use turf mode 99% of the time. Please don't be afraid of having turf mode and using it.

·
Super Moderator
6,595 Posts
I’m looking for a new Ranger. It will be used on the farm and some minor trails. No mud other than crossing some creeks. I’ve heard some bad things about the turf mode. I looked at a Backcountry and the highlighter because they already had snorkels winch and arched a arms. Things I would probably do anyway.

I’ve heard the backcountry had the same gear to gear transmission and no turf mode BUT the one backcountry that I looked at had a switch that had turf, 2 wheel and 4WD. So I’m confused.

I had old ranger and sold it for a Prowler HDX. I want to meet with back to Polaris.

Suggestions?

The BC is the best Ranger Polaris has produced to date.

The BC DOES HAVE TURF MODE, and utilizes the new Automotive Bevel Gear Open Differential. It is a better design than the previous Avalanche Differential.
Which is the one you have read the horror stories about.
To date I have seen only 1 of the new Differentials fail, and it was on a heavily modded unit.

The BC also does not have a Reverse Chain, it is Gear Driven.

Suggestions? Purchase the BC and ride on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what the odds are for Polaris to make more changes in 2020. Anyone know when the ‘20 models will be revealed and on the dealers lots?

I’m not in a big hurry to purchase especially if a new model year will be released in 2-3 months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would go BC. The HighLifter is a whole different animal, different gears, different suspension, Mud tires The Back Country is like an XP1000 with Attitude!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am in the same boat and considering both the High Lifter Crew and Back Country Crew. They are pretty much the same price at the dealership I went to. My only hold back is the High Lifter comes with doors. I would also probably change the High Lifter tires out. My local salesman said in his opinion the Back Country rides better than the High Lifter.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
The high lifter is made for going deep and running over gators and mud and swamp (chut'em) riding and the back country is made for trail riding.
I'm glad Polaris is at least addressing concerns and improving the weak links.
I've never been to Oklahoma (where the wind goes sweeping down the plains) but I would think the Back Country would be a great choice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a midsize 570 but I’ve also had no issues with turf mode, and can go anywhere I want in turfmode. What kinds of issues am I supposed to have? :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I have a midsize 570 but I’ve also had no issues with turf mode, and can go anywhere I want in turfmode. What kinds of issues am I supposed to have? :)
Some folks think turf mode is a weak link, but in reality 99% of the time were all riding in turf mode with no issues. The reverse chain is the weak link I think. I treat my reverse gear(chain) like a newborn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would 2wd really tear up the lawn that bad? I’m in the same boat and am actually considering the high lifter because of the doors and how everything is beefed up internally.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes it will tear up your lawn.
Turf mode is one thing I would really miss if I didn't have it.
Plus the smoother ride of the BC makes it the most desirable for me.
Gear reverse + new design Turf = win win.

·
Super Moderator
6,595 Posts
Can anyone confirm or deny that the back country has the strengthened front dif, drive line, and clutch like the high lifter?
Front Gear Case is the same.
Driveline the same, except BC has an open Differential
Clutches are a little Different between the 2.
One huge plus with the BC, it utilizes a 900 watt stator.

And FYI, the BC is a Dealer option package for 2020, so it’s available in every color, not just Camo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it possible to put a clutch kit in a BC to gain the top end back or does that mess with the gearing to much? Sorry i don’t know much about the tech side of these machines.

·
Super Moderator
6,595 Posts
Is it possible to put a clutch kit in a BC to gain the top end back or does that mess with the gearing to much? Sorry i don’t know much about the tech side of these machines.
If you are wanting to do 70+.

Yes, you can do a clutch kit and tune if your needing/wanting more speed.
But there are some differences in the BC, so I would wait on that until more information becomes available.
The BC is the best Ranger Polaris has produced to date.
If I wasn’t looking at a new RZR, I would probably purchase one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know but according to my Polaris rep Camso is supposedly come out with tracks for arched A arms this winter. Plus I have to imagine if he is full of it they can’t be that far out.

·
Super Moderator
6,595 Posts
I know but according to my Polaris rep Camso is supposedly come out with tracks for arched A arms this winter. Plus I have to imagine if he is full of it they can’t be that far out.
Yes, I’m sure they all will make them at some point, I was just giving you what I know about Polaris at this time.

Being from the South, for the most part, we have no need for tracks, therefore I do not keep up with what’s going on in the Track world, however, I do keep up with the DuraTracks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts