PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello esteemed Ranger folks,

Curious about the implications of loosing high range on a 2003, or thereabouts, 6x6. Low range and reverse working fine. Is this a problem that is going to migrate to low and reverse, or is it more likely isolated to a high range problem and just means the speed will be quite limited. Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
crossing_patoka

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Welcome to PRC.

It's probably a broken or worn shift dog. Did the problem begin with it not wanting to stay in gear / popping out of gear, and eventually progress to not going into gear at all?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to PRC.

It's probably a broken or worn shift dog. Did the problem begin with it not wanting to stay in gear / popping out of gear, and eventually progress to not going into gear at all?
Don't know the behavior when the problem began. Would that shift dog condition likely contribute to other transmission problems in the near term? I have reviewed some of the specs, but for speed I only recall seeing mention of TOP SPEED. What would top speed be in LOW range?

thanks,
crossing_patoka

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
If the dog is just worn and not broken, it won't harm anything in the other gears.....but if it's missing chunks or (worse yet) broken in half, then that has the potential of doing some damage.

On a 2003 6x6, I'd speculate a top speed of around 12 to 15 mph in low gear.......20 max.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jerry,

How many of the Ranger models and years use that same tranny? Asking to get a feel for how difficult it might be to find a replacement used tranny. Some parts units (partial fire, crashes) are available online.

Thanks,
Crossing_patoka

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I can't confirm usage on the older models, but it's probably the same as the '05 through '09, which uses the same tranny as the Sportsman 600, 700, and 800. You can pick up a good used one on eBay for around $300 to $400. If you can post some pic's of your tranny, I can probably confirm by looking at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts