PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for owners running tracks. Had new Camso tracks installed on our 21 Ranger XP 1000 and they are awesome when plowing. But. Ive noticed when on the unplowed road or out in our field that I have to cruise around 10 mph, estimated since track throw speedo off, low range, and its running between 4 to 5 thousand RPM, is that normal? Is it ok to use high range with tracks and cruise a little faster on unplowed roads and open fields or trails. The Polaris dealer (salesmen) isn't much help and basically says " just step on the gas to go faster", I was born at night but not last night and spent 20 years driving a few military vehicles here and there and that was not a good answer.
So looking for input from the experienced operators.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey oldjarhead. Yes you can absolutely run in high range under normal conditions. The only time you need to be in low is in extreme conditions where you are in considerable amounts of snow or climbing or different situations where it’s kind of just common sense to use low range. Have ran camoplast tracks on my last 3 rangers and they are awesome. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. Also, always carry a spare belt and familiarize yourself with belt changing if you can. Could really save your butt at some point. I never shredded a belt once but alot of people do have it happen at some point.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks for the info and advice taken....Thank you!
Hey oldjarhead. Yes you can absolutely run in high range under normal conditions. The only time you need to be in low is in extreme conditions where you are in considerable amounts of snow or climbing or different situations where it’s kind of just common sense to use low range. Have ran camoplast tracks on my last 3 rangers and they are awesome. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. Also, always carry a spare belt and familiarize yourself with belt changing if you can. Could really save your butt at some point. I never shredded a belt once but alot of people do have it happen at some point.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
572 Posts
I bought a speedo healer for mine to correct the speedo. Max speed is 43 mph. I always run in high. Plow mode won’t work in high so I plow in low.
2F940FB5-BEA4-4FFD-94E5-3545BC0FBBD1.jpeg

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
29 Posts
Also run in high. Mainly cus machine has enough power and I forget it has low. I was running some deeper snow a month or so back and noticed my belt temp gauge hit 200 and i backed off so i didnt toast it. Next time i go out (hopefully next week) im gonna run it hard in low and see how high the belt temp gets. I can sure report back.

as far as running down the road. When i have even a little dusting of snow to lube the tracks and not wear out the lugs its floored and it runs about 40. My programmer allows for speedometer tuning but speedo healer works also. Better than racking up unnecessary miles on yr rig.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question for owners running tracks. Had new Camso tracks installed on our 21 Ranger XP 1000 and they are awesome when plowing. But. Ive noticed when on the unplowed road or out in our field that I have to cruise around 10 mph, estimated since track throw speedo off, low range, and its running between 4 to 5 thousand RPM, is that normal? Is it ok to use high range with tracks and cruise a little faster on unplowed roads and open fields or trails. The Polaris dealer (salesmen) isn't much help and basically says " just step on the gas to go faster", I was born at night but not last night and spent 20 years driving a few military vehicles here and there and that was not a good answer.
So looking for input from the experienced operators.
@OldJarhead what kind of plow are you running? I am getting a 6'6" Boss V-Plow installed on my 2021 XP 1000 tomorrow. I thought I read somewhere that the front tracks will interfere with the plow..... not enough clearance or something like that. I was thinking of getting a set....... I guess i'll at least give it a try with chained tired and lots of ballast in the back. we have had some insane snowfall this season. i've got over 40" on the ground and another 12" in forecast this week.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@OldJarhead what kind of plow are you running? I am getting a 6'6" Boss V-Plow installed on my 2021 XP 1000 tomorrow. I thought I read somewhere that the front tracks will interfere with the plow..... not enough clearance or something like that. I was thinking of getting a set....... I guess i'll at least give it a try with chained tired and lots of ballast in the back. we have had some insane snowfall this season. i've got over 40" on the ground and another 12" in forecast this week.
I'm running the 70 inch steel plow sold by polaris. I keep on top of the snow and never plowed anything deeper then 24 inches. In low with the tracks have no issues pushing wet heavy snow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running the 70 inch steel plow sold by polaris. I keep on top of the snow and never plowed anything deeper then 24 inches. In low with the tracks have no issues pushing wet heavy snow.
Also i have the plow extension installed by the dealer that allows plenty of clearance between the tracks and the plow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So today i got some seat time. Love my Northstar crew. It was -15 out and i coulda been in a longsleeve shirt and still been plenty warm. I ran it in low in the ditch through the snow. Granted i wasnt pushing a lot of snow because its kinda blown in hard in the ditch right now but it was still some rolling resistance that is noticeable. I was running about 12-14 mph at about 6000 rpm and the belt temp never went above 140 degrees. When i went to high gear the machine worked a bit harder and the temp went up about 15 degrees. Definitely a difference of performance in low gear but man its so slow. Lol

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
572 Posts
It is slow. But you can go where tires won’t.
Does yours Ice up like this? Lol like glaciers
178D7980-D7CE-48D4-BF50-2E3A73EFE3CD.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty dang close. Its in the dark cold trailer. I think ill take it out again tomorrow and grab a comparison pic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So today i got some seat time. Love my Northstar crew. It was -15 out and i coulda been in a longsleeve shirt and still been plenty warm. I ran it in low in the ditch through the snow. Granted i wasnt pushing a lot of snow because its kinda blown in hard in the ditch right now but it was still some rolling resistance that is noticeable. I was running about 12-14 mph at about 6000 rpm and the belt temp never went above 140 degrees. When i went to high gear the machine worked a bit harder and the temp went up about 15 degrees. Definitely a difference of performance in low gear but man its so slow. Lol
Belt temp? Forgive me but l'm new to sxs's. I see the engine temp on the gauge
Belt temp? Im new to sxs's I see the engine temp on the dash. Is there a belt temp in the menu too? or is that some you installed?

·
Banned
3,099 Posts
6K rpm? Time to shift to high. Not sure how the belt temp is measured, but the air flow had to have cooled it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Belt temp? Forgive me but l'm new to sxs's. I see the engine temp on the gauge

Belt temp? Im new to sxs's I see the engine temp on the dash. Is there a belt temp in the menu too? or is that some you installed?
Mounted this Razorback Technologies 3.1 infrared belt temp gauge to the right of the cluster. The sensor reads the belt directly on the secondary clutch. There are other ones that measure air temp in the clutch housing but no where near as accurate. I put it in so for a bit of peace of mind when i work the machine hard. The green indicator will change colors based on temp. Just back off a bit if it starts to get warm and save yourself some headaches on the trail or whatever your doing with your machine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts