PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Mounted this Razorback Technologies 3.1 infrared belt temp gauge to the right of the cluster. The sensor reads the belt directly on the secondary clutch. There are other ones that measure air temp in the clutch housing but no where near as accurate. I put it in so for a bit of peace of mind when i work the machine hard. The green indicator will change colors based on temp. Just back off a bit if it starts to get warm and save yourself some headaches on the trail or whatever your doing with your machine.
Awesome! Will order one.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
25 Posts
Awesome! Will order one.
Went for about a 20-25 mile cruise with the pup this morning in the ditches and out on a couple of the lakes. There is not a ton of snow and where it exists there is a crust that has formed on the top with the -20 and lower temps and wind we have had. When the snow is like that these tracks essentially float on top of everything. Therefore the machine is worked very little when compared to deep powdery stuff.

The temps from my picture were after my run today. The high temp was from after i pushed it a little bit and stopped. The sensor is so sensitive that it picks up every little variation. I may be wrong (and someone please correct me if i am), but i think the heat from the clutches transfers into the belt as soon as you stop. So normally after i drive i will see about a 10 degree rise right away. The gauge is also cool as it keeps an average too as you might notice on the lower left. This 3.1 is also neat in that it will sometime be able to incorporate a blower to automatically turn a clutch blower on and aid in cooling things off. Cant wait for that to be released.

Back to the tracks though, they are so kick ass. Love them in the snow. The machine is very smooth if you have a foot of white stuff to run in. Today on the lake like i was saying the snow on it was pretty hard. I was running in high with speeds between 30-35 and the engine rpms were between 6-6500. I think it woulda went faster but there were some bumpier spots so i took it easy. I don't think i ran in low today well because i didn't have to. As long as my temps stay in this range while running I will run in high.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
25 Posts
It is slow. But you can go where tires won’t.
Does yours Ice up like this? Lol like glaciers View attachment 133455
Ok mine was not quite that bad mainly because there wasn't much powder to bust through. At any rate running in the snow is a blast.

Attachments

·
Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
179 Posts
A CVT doesn't run from idle like a geared transmission. A CVT runs at peak torque or thereabouts. Depending on the load it will always run at higher rpms.
If you are running 5000-6000 at 10-15 mph in low you must be in a high load situation, plus it is low gear. Running high gear at low mph, under load, could burn belts. Under 10 mph I would be in low. Over that I would use high gear and try to gain mph's (kph's?) so as not to over heat a belt under load.
Seems to me, tracks in snow, loaded up, or plowing snow is a high load situation. Its only a 1000cc engine in a 2000 lbs plus machine. Not the ideal power to weight vehicle. The CVT is doing its job. Its made to slip.

Reactions: OldJarhead
21 - 24 of 24 Posts