PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had any luck out of building some decent looking doors? Not really wanting to spend a fortune for a set if I can build my own. Thought about building my own and am just curious of what people have done and what they used to build them.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
I thought about using some aluminum diamond plate.

·
Registered
908 Posts
How about Aluminum Diamond Plate

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Go to the archives and do a search. One of our members put together some great looking doors out of plexiglas or lexan.
Joe in Tucson

·
Registered
815 Posts
The most difficult part of fabricating doors is bending the frame. I don't have the equipment and did it using a tree & a hammer. I used commercial grade 3/8" Lexan basically for the entire door. Used RV door locks w/deadbolt and lift off hinges. I made a drop out window section of the same material. It works well for me but the fit could be better as bending square tubing by hand is a toughie. I rivited garage door gasket to the door frame and it does a decent job. Sorry but not up to the task of posting pictures. I would try to help with any questions.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Using round tube would make the bending easier or cutting and welding square tube would be better than trying to bend it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a pipe bender that will bend up to 2" pipe and a mig welder. Just kind of wondering what material to use and then how to install windows. I also have some lexan left over that I built my windshield out of. Thanks for the helds up on the hinges and latches, that was another questions I had.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jed - Just sent you an email. Maybe you could get some ideas from my ride. Have used it on some really rough going for a year and it has stood up well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jed - I sent an email thru the PRC profile page, not sure why it didn't go thru. I just sent a test email, if you get this I will send the poop along in another. I definitely believe that a home made door is the way to go unless $$$ mean nothing. Have used mine very roughly for over a year and it is holding up perfectly.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jed - No word yet. Send me an email from my profile page & I will use that to reply with. Bob

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
You'll have to keep us posted on your door project. Will be looking forward to seeing what ya come up with.

Brian

·
Registered
815 Posts
Jed - I just copied 15 pics of my doors to a CD & it will be on the way in a day or two. I am not much into this electronic/pic transfer stuff so maybe you could forward some poop to Chief Morton if he is still interested. If you have any questions be sure to give me a yell. Good luck. Bob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anybody had any luck out of building some decent looking doors? Not really wanting to spend a fortune for a set if I can build my own. Thought about building my own and am just curious of what people have done and what they used to build them.
Post from days gone by

1 - 17 of 17 Posts