PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner 2018 Ranger XP1000. I see my dog riding with me a lot once I get all my accessories installed, etc. Just some general easy trail riding stuff and nothing too fast or two crazy. Anyone using a dog harness, etc., to assist with a safe ride for their dog? Suggestions.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
In my wife's lap or mine. She's a miniature Dashound, born blind and now older, but she loves to ride in the Ranger or the Truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
New owner 2018 Ranger XP1000. I see my dog riding with me a lot once I get all my accessories installed, etc. Just some general easy trail riding stuff and nothing too fast or two crazy. Anyone using a dog harness, etc., to assist with a safe ride for their dog? Suggestions.
Are dog likes to ride in the middle of me and my wife and likes to press up against my wife to help support himself. When turning and going over bumps he really will lean into you. There was a post on here where a guy built a little platform for the center seat so his dog had a bigger seat and he said it worked great! I thought about a dog harness because he never really seems to be really relaxed when he rides with us but without a doubt riding in the Ranger is hands down his favorite thing to do in this world! He is a big dog and I worry he could tear the seats so my wife went to a 2nd hand store and bought some old car seat covers for 10 bucks and sewed them to fit the ranger. That’s better than the 200 dollar carhartt ones polaris sells.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
My cattle dog rides every day with me. He sits front-seat-center so I can put my arm around him.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Opal (20 pound mutt) used to ride in the middle, front paws on my right leg, tucked under my right arm, she even had doggles (goggles for dogs) to wear. They sell those at PetsMart. She loved to ride, but she passed away two years ago. We had a strap hooked to the roll cage, just above the seat, and kept her collar or harness hooked to it. Mini, our current 15 pound mutt, doesn't like to ride so much.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure how to post a link but if you search My Pup's Booster Seat you'll see what I built. I don't currently use a restraint as I drive slowly with him but you could/should if going faster. You could always put a larger front rail if you went this route. I just used ripped 2x4, just to give him something to push his paws against.
When he rides in the bed (when I have other passengers) I use a short restraint connected to the center homemade eye hook plug.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our Pom rides in the middle or my wife's lap. She loves to ride.... Ranger, truck or car. You open a door, she is in. Now our 14 year old lab, that is another story. He thinks any ride is a trip to the vet. You open a door to any vehicle, he is GONE..... he is headed to the front door of the house.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure how the 2018 Rangers are, but my 2015 full size 570 ranger bed gets very warm/hot for my black lab. I didn't realize it at first, but that engine right under her about cooked her one day a couple years ago. I ended up getting some of that exterior sheathing insulation board from Home depot and cut out a piece that fits my whole bed then I put an old rug on top of that and keep lots of drinking water for her on our rides now. Don't know about you, but my dog is my bud and I felt bad that I bout cooked her. Something to think about.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Our dog Ollie rides with me on the front seat. I secure him with a short leash attached to the steering column. I installed a Plano 56 quart box under the passenger seat and it protrudes enough to put a pad on it for extra support for him.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Either in the bed or I flip the front seat up and let him ride shotgun. Rides on the seat in the summertime.

Finn Ranger.jpg

·
Registered
754 Posts
Usually the little one stand on the middle seat and he places his fronts inside where the radio suppose to be.
The big one usually sits on the passenger seat or under his mom's feet, when she joins us.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Opal (20 pound mutt) used to ride in the middle, front paws on my right leg, tucked under my right arm, she even had doggles (goggles for dogs) to wear. They sell those at PetsMart. She loved to ride, but she passed away two years ago. We had a strap hooked to the roll cage, just above the seat, and kept her collar or harness hooked to it. Mini, our current 15 pound mutt, doesn't like to ride so much.
Watch this, Opal appears twice in it. I miss her very much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don’t have harness’s for them. I feel they have a better chance jumping out if the Ranger goes over. I take them everywhere and they handle bumps and inclines very well. They are way to big for the front seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Front seat, center, unless he's driving. 20150207_085454.jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bob Dawg, a 17 lb. dog sits in one of those oblong plastic milk crates that I have bungy corded down to the passenger seat. I have carpet lining the bottom and a foam swim noddle cut to fit along the front edge with a piece on non skid tape attached to it. if he sits down he can see out but he usually rides standing up with his front feet on the swim noodle. 1500 miles and 0 problems except he doesn't want to ride in the truck anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts