PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, given the apparent prevalence of problems with the original fuel pump on Ranger XPs, and with my engine unable to rev above 1900 RPM and only when pumping the accelerator pedal, I am replacing my fuel pump. Engine is also unable to hold idle; when accelerator is released, RPM goes down to about 800, then engine shuts off. Last time it ran fine, I got about 1.5 miles away from home before it lost the ability to rev.

I measured the fuel pressure from the schrader valve and it was below 10 psi.

I already bought the replacement fuel pump. The problem is that I can't remove the fuel pump assembly on my 2008 Ranger XP 700. Some of the posts I've seen show screws sealing the fuel pump assembly. Mine shows a knurled ring about 4.5 inches in diameter.
20141123_125826 - Copy.jpg
I assumed the knurled ring would screw off by turning counterclockwise, but I can't budge it by hand. I tried using ring clamp with rubber band inserts for gripping (in photo) but I still can't turn it. Is there a special technique or tool for getting more leverage, or am I doing it all wrong (in assuming it twists off)? I'm not mechanically sophisticated so any tips would be very useful. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
it screws off, its a bastard though! Get yourself a giant pair of channel locks and CAREFULLY attemp to spin it off Counter-clockwise like you were trying to do. They SUCK! dont squeeze to tight, or you'll be fighting yourself. Trick is to get the channel locks "teethe" to grip the lips or ridges of the ring and spin it. I cant tell very clearly, however....another option may be to get an oil filter band wrench or strap wrench and use one of those. see what ya come up with, and be very careful not to smash it. lol

did you buy the whole replacement unit? or just the pump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WagZ, thanks for confirming the removal method. I was able to get a large clamp to twist off the knurled ring, twisting against the clamps that I had installed as seen in the photo, and it took about 2 1/8 revolutions for complete removal.

I had bought just a replacement pump with some attachments. Here's a photo of the package.
CNTRacingFuelPump31hxAqS4kEL.jpg

However, when I examined the existing assembly, I noticed that the plastic(?) parts such as fuel screen and wire insulation were degraded. Is there an aftermarket assembly? Polaris sells their assembly for $324. Or, is there an option to replace just the internal wiring, including the one attached to the fuel sensor?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
That im not sure of, you'll have to speak to the pros on that note. i think ya have to fork over the big bucks for the whole unit. They'll know more about that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will be replacing my pump tomorrow when the airtex pump gets here . I have looked for a you tube video or steps to do this . I'm not too confident I can handle the job . Is there a step by step procedure listed on this site or better yet a video ? If not would some one be kind enough to tell me what to do . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i just did a 2010 ranger 800 on thursday, for ME it was a breeze, HARDEST part is getting the bottom part of hte plastic pump apart. You'll need a very small thin screwdriver to get the 3 retaining tabs pryed apart...without breaking the ears. lol but it CAN be done, Unhook wiring from bottom of top sealing plate, cut ziptie and seperate it. OEM strainer will more than likely be needed again upon installing it. wish i had some pictures to show how i did it, but didnt think about it during the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts