PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently plugged a small hole in my leaking tubeless tire. I noticed the tire already had a couple of plugs in it. My question is, how many plugs are too many?
The tire tread appears fine and the tire is holding pressure fine.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
It's only too many if you run out of plugs before the leak stops.:playful:

Seriously though, in the past I have ran a couple of different tires for a long time that had 2 and 3 plugs in them. After a few hundred miles, they would usually start to leak a little and I'd have to remove the plugs and start with fresh ones.......but that beat buying a new $140 tire, considering that all of them were like new (or were at least a long way from being worn out).

From what I've experienced, practicality fades when you start reaching 4 plugs........but I have done more than that to get myself and others out of the woods. I think my record is 6 or 7.:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Guys on the Jeep Forum I go to have had sliced side wall from rock climbing and used 8 plugs in a cut on the side wall and drove it home. He replaced the tire the next day. I don't think on a off road vehicle there would be a limit since heat and speed are not a factor.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If you're talking about individual plugs in different leaks, that's a tough one. I know I've had 8 or so in one of my factory tires, thorns. My wife's mail truck has had 4 or 5 in it's tires before.... You pick up a lot of screws and nails when you have to keep getting on the shoulder for mail boxes.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
........You pick up a lot of screws and nails when you have to keep getting on the shoulder for mail boxes.
I had never thought of that, but that's definitely a hazard of the job......although I'd be much more afraid of getting ran over by an idiot.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can you guys recommend a tire plug kit? Any must have or worthless features? I've never had to plug a tire, but I used to work at a gas station where we patched them.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Can you guys recommend a tire plug kit? Any must have or worthless features? I've never had to plug a tire, but I used to work at a gas station where we patched them.
The Slime brand that Walmart carries seem to be good ones. One thing I definitely recommend is using glue (I like Monkey Grip) in conjunction with the plugs. In my air compressor bag, I have a plug kit with PLENTY of plugs (never know when the worst might happen) and a good sized can of glue. Not sure what size it is, but would guess around 8 ounces.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Inside patch and plus is the only right way to FIX a tire. a plug is a temp get you home deal. For built in Preventive measures I use Purple Goo. Its like Slime, but seems to work better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had 13 in my right front before I finally broke down and got new tires. The rest had anywhere from 5-8. Dang mesquite thorns get me every time. No getting around them. Most folks around here just keep plugging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have probably installed 4 or 5 plugs in one tire (Mudlite) and that tire is almost 4 years old and the plugs are still "wet" and no leaks. I use the Slime brand plug kit.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Oh man, ive jammed SOO much stuff into tires to get home its insane..plugs work great if ya got enough....but when ya dont got enough, soon you have to improvise. lol Ive managed to stuff 2" limbs into holes (kinda like a wooden barrel plug) Do what ya got to in order to get home! lol once my neighbor ripped the sidewall, and blew the tire off the bead.. we walked back over the hill to a strip job, found a mechanic and asked for a 1" bolt and the biggest washers he had that would fit the bolt...then...we took o rings, put them on the bolt head, then installed washer, pushed bolt through tire hole, installed another washer, and another o ring and finally a nut. Sprayed some RTV on it, hit it with eether and lit it..lol..sealed it to the tire, inflated and took off for home. Ended up running that tire like that for about 3 weeks cuz it kept holding air.. Defied everything we ever seen. LOL eventually the whole sidewall ripped out, and he replaced tire. holy crap, talk about intersting! lol

·
Registered
2020 1000 Premium
32 Posts
I just replaced my rear tires after 10 years (535 hours). They had at least 10 plugs each and still holding fine. I do keep slime in them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts