PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the top bushing on the steering wheel shaft on my 2009 Ranger. After removing the nut that holds the wheel on the shaft I was hoping the wheel would pull off, not so. Is there a special tool I need to remove it from the shaft?
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Yeap, you need a puller. You should be able to borrow one from Auto Zones.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Or...if you have a Harbor Frieght nearby, they are fairly inexpensive to buy. Harbor Freight stuff isnt Snap On by far, but for lighter use/ infrequent use they are ok.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just remove the nut and grab the wheel at 9 & 3 oclock and rock it back and forth L-R and pull at the same time and off they come. I have done this on cars, trucks & boats.
Works for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Or take off the nut and then put a ratchet strap on the wheel and top of your roll cage. With a few rubber mallet huts it should come off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I changed my wheel out several years ago, I took the center nut off, put it back on with little less that a thread showing on the nut, and had my girlfriend hit the nut with the hammer and pulled up at the same time and it popped right off. Mine was only 2 or three months old when I changed it as well.. RC

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Gotta be careful whacking it with a hammer if you have EPS. I've read about folks damaging their EPS unit by changing the wheel in that manner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a 3 jaw puller and could not get a solid hold with it, I just slightly deformed the bottom hub of the wheel. Going to try some of the other ideas today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just an hour ago I took off my neighbors 2012 to exchange wheel for a custom one and it did the same thing just loosened the nut an pulled and rocked the wheel hard LF to RH a few times and off it came.
Save your money and use your muscles.
Keep whacking on the column and your going to be in trouble.$$$$

I have a large 3 jaw puller on mine have hit puller 3 times . Going to put the hair drier on it now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hair drier blowing on nut on steering got it to hot to touch started turning puller . Pulled plastic steering wheel off the metal insert . Now I can put some heat on the metal insert & pull it off . Want to install quick detach steering wheel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So now you FUBARED the wheel and still haven't gotten the wheel/hub off.:hypnotysed:
Hair drier blowing on nut on steering got it to hot to touch started turning puller . Pulled plastic steering wheel off the metal insert . Now I can put some heat on the metal insert & pull it off . Want to install quick detach steering wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I tried all the suggestions with no luck. I was able to get a very strong pull with the ratchet strap attached to the roll cage but I could not get it to budge. When I did this I disconnected the tilt wheel cylinder so I had a straight pull. The reason I want to change the bushings is because the wheel has a lot of lash and it creeks a lot while driving so I am thinking there is a problem with the bushing and binding up when I try to pull it off. Not sure what to do. I am planning to go to Moab soon and do not want to have a problem while I am there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heat up the plastic around the hub . I had a large puller with 3/4 wide feet for lack or a better word . Did not hurt the plastic at all. Going to use the heat gun on the hub if that dont do it going to use the cutting torch to heat it . This is a very tight fit . No surface rust but may have rust around the shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well it did not come off with heat gun. But there is a bolt in the top off the ujoint took it it out & pulled the shaft right out of the housing. if u do thiis u should match mark ujoint & shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the pull force is off axis at all, you will cause binding and this will work against you. That is why I feel the best answer is a steering wheel puller or tugging wildly back and forth like you are pissed of at it. I almost gave up trying to get it off with bare hands when I angrily tugged side-to-side and it came off suddenly :D
Took the shaft with hub on it to my 20 ton press had close ten ton on it when the shaft violently shot out of the hub. They must have went way over on the foot pounds on the nut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Upper bushing was well worn . Machined a brass bushing . Going To drill a small DIA. hole down the end of the shaft & cross drill it then i can oil the bushing. Got the hub started back in the steering wheel filled the teeth on both sides with super glue & pressed it back together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts