PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Has anyone experienced a threaded oil pan on a ‘19 Ranger XP1000 crew?

I understand with it being aluminum it could have been caused by over tightening/cross threading the oil plug but has anyone removed their oil pan? If so, is it as easy as dropping the oil pan or does the whole motor have to be removed to get the oil pan out from the frame to be replaced?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,536 Posts
If there is room, I would suggest the use of a Helicoil or Timesert without removing the oil pan. I've not used Timeserts but have heard good things about them. I have used Helicoils on several occasions and never had a problem wit them. The plus side is that once installed the threads are stainless steel and much less likely to strip in the future. Get a kit that is the proper thread pitch and diameter of your plug so you can use the OEM plug. The kits are a little pricey but a lot cheaper than removing the engine to replace the pan.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've used Timeserts on spark plug holes and they are awesome. IMO better than Helicoil. But, the initial purchase of the kits, which are specific to pitch and diameter, are quite expensive. One kit costs $100-$150. The inserts are cheap but they are length specific. An oil pan would use a short one where the spark plug hole that I did on a 900 last week was long.

That being said, for a one time repair, Helicoil is probably the best option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there is room, I would suggest the use of a Helicoil or Timesert without removing the oil pan. I've not used Timeserts but have heard good things about them. I have used Helicoils on several occasions and never had a problem wit them. The plus side is that once installed the threads are stainless steel and much less likely to strip in the future. Get a kit that is the proper thread pitch and diameter of your plug so you can use the OEM plug. The kits are a little pricey but a lot cheaper than removing the engine to replace the pan.

Time Sert is exactly the route I plan on going with after doing some research. I figure a new pan will end up having the same problem at some point so may as well go with the Time Sert kit to help strengthen it. Apparently the Time Serts are 3x the strength of the aluminum thread and steel to a steel plug sounds like a forever fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used Timeserts on spark plug holes and they are awesome. IMO better than Helicoil. But, the initial purchase of the kits, which are specific to pitch and diameter, are quite expensive. One kit costs $100-$150. The inserts are cheap but they are length specific. An oil pan would use a short one where the spark plug hole that I did on a 900 last week was long.

That being said, for a one time repair, Helicoil is probably the best option.
Thanks for the input, after some research I definitely plan on doing the Time Sert repair option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts