PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am an old fart, but I am new to Rangers. I picked up my first one today, a 2012 500 EFI with 66 hours and 418 miles on the odometer (see attached picture). I've used my son's Honda Rancher quite a bit, but until this week, I had not driven a side by side. Getting used to the CVT system is going to take a few days, but I have to say, I am VERY impressed with this little bugger so far. My land is in the driftless region of Iowa a few miles from the Mississippi River. I only have 36.5 acres but the elevation changes over 100 feet from one end of the place to another. Yeah, we've got hills. The only disappointment I've had with the Ranger so far is that I haven't found anywhere on the place where I really HAD to use four wheel drive, which is kind of amazing. With the stock Carlisle 489s I rarely need to go out of 1 wheel drive. Winter will change that, no doubt.

Anyway, I joined this forum to learn, and after lurking for a couple of days, I have certainly done that. I especially like the homemade modifications area. I'm not big on throwing money around to impress the next guy, so the Polaris steel wheels will get the job done, and so will the stock tires for the time being.

I've been attempting to teach 7-12 grade students the rudiments of the English language for the past 25 years or so, though I retired from full-time teaching a few years ago. I still sub quite a bit, but I believe this will be my last year of that. I've also worked in a couple factories, repaired firearms and fishing gear, and worked for 14 years as a police officer before a bum knee forced me into education. I enjoyed both careers, but have to say, education has been the most rewarding (though certainly not monetarily).

I married my high school sweetheart 42 years ago, and amazingly, she still puts up with me. We have two fine sons and a wonderful daughter who have provided us with six grandchildren, three boys and three girls. We bought our acreage last year to be able to spend more time with the boys (and four grandkids) who both live near the acreage but nearly four hours from our residence. It has been a wonderful thing that we all enjoy. We plan to put the Ranger to work and also use it to entertain the grandkids when they are here.

I'll stop boring you all now. Thanks in advance for all I hope to learn hear.

Russ

Ranger.jpg

·
Registered
618 Posts
Welcome Russ! My little 500 has impressed me from day one. They are great, more than capable machines.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Welcome to PRC

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Welcome 30coupe! Quit subbing and get out on your ranger. A bad day on your ranger is better than a good day in the classroom. Wait, there are no bad days on the ranger. :glee:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from central Iowa.
With your hills . Use low range more than high. If your just puttering around. Saves the belt.
Yeah, I think I'll be in low range the majority of the time. Once you get used to the motor revving like crazy, low range isn't so bad. The dealer I bought it from was a tech for 12 years before he started selling, so he clued me in on saving the belts this way.

My folks lived in Newton for a few years. Not a bad town. They have moved twice since though. Dad has never been able to stay in one spot too long. He claims he's done moving now, at age 84, but I wouldn't be shocked if that changed, lol. Anyway, I kind of know your area. You do have some hills, but they are long slopey things instead of the steep bluffs I have over here. I'm almost straight east of you...a little north maybe...just outside Bellevue.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Welcome Russ! Grandkids love the ride, like me can't get enough. I rarely get my 700 out of turf mode, only in desperation.....No hills here, bout 100 miles straight south of you, just corn and beans as far as the eye can see.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Welcome to PRC

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome aboard PRC, Russ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts